Exercise after PS

Kirsten :-)
on 7/1/08 5:47 am - Agoura Hills, CA
Just wanted to hear from those of you who have had plastic surgery....How long before you were able to really exercise?  And how long did it take you to get back to where you were before your surgery?  It has been almost 8 weeks since my lower body lift and I have been given the ok to start light exercise (walking/upper body).  It amazes me that I was able to complete a marathon just a few months ago, and now I'm totally wiped out after a SLOW 2 mile walk.  I have signed up for the Disneyland 1/2 marathon Labor Day weekend and I'm wondering if maybe I should think about giving my entry away or if I have hope of getting in shape enough to be able to complete it.  Input anyone?
MaryS
on 7/1/08 6:45 am - Long Island, NY
Kirsten, Seems like you surgeon is more conservative than mine was, I was walking immediately after surgery, not much but walking.  I was back running (if  you can call it that after 6 weeks) it was three months before I got the green light to go back to weights.  I did a 10 mile race almost 4 months after my lower body lift.  Based on that you might be ok for the Disneyland 1/2 marathon.  I remember I was very depressed about how little I was able to do after the surgery, but my endurance did come back quickly.  One positive thing about getting in shape, you do get back to your fitness level quicker than it took to get there originially.  Remember you don't need to put pressure on yourself to do the race, the lbl is a big surgery to recover from.  If you don't do the  1/2 there will be plenty of races in the future.   Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active