TreadMill VS Eliptical

chellelynn3
on 7/1/08 3:40 am - san bernardino, CA
Does anyone know what the best exercise is for getting leaner legs? I have very large legs and thighs, I know that I burn way more calories doing 2 miles on the eliptical vs 2 miles on the treadmill but I also read that if you are trying to slim your legs walking is the best exercise for that and the eliptical may make your legs larger. Any suggestions? Thanks!
marsheeeee
on 7/1/08 5:56 am - Jackson, MS
I love the elliptical because as you say, you do burn calories on it, but my legs never got that thin when I was using that machine.  However, now that I'm walking/running/marathon training my legs have gotten positively skinny.  So I'd have to say based on my experience that the way to slim your legs is to run.  I am also assuming that by extension walking will also slim them down.   Marcia
Linn D.
on 7/1/08 5:57 am - Missoula, MT
First of all, fat gets lost where the body decides it's going to lose it.  There is no way you can change that.  Do you walk for cardio exercise?  Do you keep your heart rate up for 30 minutes or longer?  For a similar heart rate, you'll burn similar amounts of calories in the same time frame regardless of the activity.  The main point of cardio exercise truly should be improved all around health. That being said, I have large legs and not much bottom.  Always have.  My legs are definitely leaner and smaller, though, since I've been running.  The thing about the elliptical that may cause muscle gain is the resistance level you're at.  However, since you're female, the likelihood that even the high resistances will cause significant increases in muscle size is low.  You'll get some definition, but I doubt much more size. I have come to love my legs.  Yes they are large, but I have fabulous muscle definition which I'm very proud of.  Have you tried pilates?  It was designed for dancers to have long leg lines, so I'd try that in addition to your other cardio activities. Linn
chellelynn3
on 7/1/08 7:05 am - san bernardino, CA
Yes Ive done Pilate in the past, and your right I do remember that helping slim my legs, I should get that old Pilates DVD out and blow the dust off of it LOL!!!
stellalukin
on 7/1/08 11:27 am - Cambridge, MA
I would have to go with weight training on this one. Training with the heaviest weight you can safely handle 2-3 days a week.
I run 4 days a week, 3+ miles; cross train on the elliptical one day, go to spin class on one day, devote one entire day to stretching and nothing else, and mix in weight training 2-3 days a week.
My legs are getting very lean & I swear it's the combination of running and weight training, esp when I do them on the same day.

I think you have to mix it up, that's where I've seen the best results.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

Most Active