Calories

Seht
on 6/30/08 4:18 pm
I have a message in for the surgeon & Nut, asking how many calories I should be consuming, so while I am waiting for  a response, I thought I'd do the unofficial OH poll. I'm almost 6 months out, current weight is 235 down from a high of 441.  331 at time of surgery. I am eating about 800-1000 calories a day, and am either running, biking, or swimming 6 days a week. My weight loss has seemed to stall, or at least seriously slowed down.  I am wondering if I am getting enough or too many calories at this point. Thanks Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

K B (Tucson)
on 6/30/08 4:42 pm - Tucson, AZ
Way too few calories!! You need to skoke your engine.  Try for at least 1200 cal/day and perhaps 1500/day will not be too many for you to excercise at your pace and still lose weight.  Too few calories will definitely stall you out.  Good luck.
Scott William
on 6/30/08 10:02 pm
also is it possible that you are at an "ideal" weight.  My body wants to be in the 240 range.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 7/1/08 2:04 am - Missoula, MT
Scott,  Regardless of weight loss, I think you need to eat more!  I'm 5'5", 155, and eat 1800+ calories a day and I've maintained for over 3 years. My best guess is that, if possible, you should aim for at least 1500 (they'll probably tell you closer to 2000 considering your current weight and activity level).  I bet you'll see an increase in your energy level as well. By the way, at 6 months, it's pretty common for weight loss to slow. Linn
Rob S.
on 7/1/08 10:51 am - DE
Not only not enough, but with that few calories you probably are not  getting in adequate protein.  Upping the protein usually triggers the weight loss.  Careful you don't flame out. Rob
Seht
on 7/1/08 2:07 pm
I think the Nut is a bit of a quack. She said that I needed to eat less if I wanted to continue to lose weight.  I asked her how many calories I should have and she said oh we don't count calories. I told her what i was eating and how many calories.  I told her how much exercise I was getting and that I was burning at least half of my daily calories exercising. She just couldn't seem to understand that. I think I will talk to another Nutritionist, this one just didn't seem to get it, or she couldn't explain what she was trying to in a very coherent manner. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 7/2/08 12:45 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Scott, I'd look for a more of a sports nutritionist.  You might find a running club and I bet someone there would know of a good one. Regardless of having had surgery, you'll have certain nutrition requirements that all active people have and this could best be discussed with someone more familiar with people who train.  Your basic nutritionist who works with WLS surgery patients cringes when you mention anything over 1200 calories a day even for someone a year out.  I rarely go to the support group meeting in my town because the focus is on drinking lots of protein drinks and taking vitamins.  They don't really discus how to use food for it's nutritional value rather than relying on shakes, and I think that with the exception of exercise, it's the most important long-term success information. That's my little rant for the day, and I hope you get some better information soon. Linn
Most Active