racing to complete vs racing to compete

Cassie W.
on 7/2/08 8:42 am
My reasons for racing aren't much different that the rest of you.  Having that race on the calendar keeps me motivated to keep training, always striving to run a little faster or a little farther.  One of my first races, I placed in my age group because the field was so small, but that little plastic medal left me hungry for more.    Some day, I want to be fast enough to qualify for Boston just for the sheer bragging rights and I'm willing to work for it.  It took me almost 6 hours to finish the Philadelphia Marathon.  It took me less than 5 hours to finish the Buffalo Marathon.  I know that once I nail that first 10K in under 50 minutes, training for Boston is realistic.  I race because my fellow runners are my social network.  I know if I surround myself with people who make physical fitness a priority that I am less likely to slip back into old habits where food is the focal point of every social engagement.  That's not to say that I don't enjoy the feast after the race and the ability to eat more because of what I burn through exercise. I race because I CAN!  Reading the adventures of everyone on the board inspires me to try things I never thought were within my reach.   Each story opens up new possibilities that keeps fitness fresh and exciting. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 7/2/08 9:48 am - Missoula, MT
I want to qualify for Boston or NYC too!  I figure once I manage that, I should be able to do an ironman as well.  I'm looking at about 2 years from now (hopefully). That really is one of the reasons I work on speed and keep increasing the speeds on my normal runs as I can. Linn
Cassie W.
on 7/2/08 10:42 am

Linn, Are you thinking that you'll run your qualifying marathon in 2009 for the 2010 Boston Marathon or qualify in 2010 for the 2011 race?  Maybe we'll be on the same time schedule!  Once I see how I do with the rest of my race calendar this year, I'll know if I'll be targeting 2010 or 2011. Cassie

Linn D.
on 7/2/08 2:32 pm - Missoula, MT
Cassie, I doubt I'd be able to qualify next year since it requires 8 min miles and I'm just now at about 9 for shorter races.  My endurance sure is improving at the faster speeds so I'm hopeful to qualify in 2010 for 2011.  We'll see how I'm doing come January at the Rock and Roll Arizona.  Some of this will also depend on the amount of time I have to train while I'm in pharmacy school. Linn
Sherry_Berry
on 7/2/08 10:01 am - Dacula, GA
Lol! I can't BQ, but I CAN do an IM!
Cassie W.
on 7/2/08 10:48 am

Sherry, I have to learn how to swim before I tri.  Then, I'm sure I'll have to put the Ironman on my to-do list.  I just bought Total Immersion book and joined the local YMCA, so now all I have to do is sign up for swim lessons.   Cassie

Sherry_Berry
on 7/2/08 10:58 am - Dacula, GA
I started with the TI DVD. It helped me get through my first race...of course I was last place in my AG for the swim....by MINUTES! The Y lessons will also help some, but once you get to that "basic level" do invest in a few private lessons. Trust me...they do a WORLD of good...one on one instruction! I teach group instruction with my tri club...I can't give too much attention to any swimmer for a period of time b/c everyone needs help.
Most Active