racing to complete vs racing to compete

Chris Zane
on 6/30/08 11:33 am
I do it for motivation.  On those days that I'm feeling lazy and not wanting to go and work out, I think that I have a 5k or a triathlon coming up and I want to beat my last time.  That's usually enough to get me out the door. I could just set up my own 5k course and time myself on it, but I run faster when I'm caught up in the excitement of race day and have all those people around me. Also, probably not the best reason, but I train and race so that I can eat more.  I don't think I could eat little enough to maintain my weight just by diet alone.
Soft And Lovely
on 6/30/08 11:59 am - IL
Honestly, that "eat more" thing has crossed my mind too.  It's not an issue this early out but I sense that it will be if I don't move my butt!

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Kevin A.
on 7/1/08 1:09 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I been thinking about the same question. Is finishing 1/2 marathon or marathon enough for me? I don't know? I think that why I'm looking for a new challenge. The races are exciting but at the end I still looking for that runner high.. So I look forward to races to see all the runners in one place with the same goal. To feel the excitment of a race day. It makes me feel like I belong to something bigger than just me out running at 5am..
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
marsheeeee
on 7/1/08 5:42 am, edited 7/1/08 5:47 am - Jackson, MS
I'm doing it now to complete, rather than compete, except that I am competing with myself.  As it was probably with most of us on this site, I was the fat, slow kid growing up, always the last to be chosen for a team and last in any kind of torture - er - race that the P.E. teachers insisted we all participate in (I HATED P.E.).  However, one of the things I'd always wanted to do was participate in a marathon - why?  I don't really know, except that I thought being able to run like that would feel like flying.  I lost my weight with the gastric bypass.  I started seeing advertisements for the group I am now a part of - Marathon Makeover, which styled themselves as providing Marathon training for couch potatoes.  Ok, that was me, more or less - at least I wouldn't feel out of place.   The big motivating factor, the one that had me join up, was when I discussed it with my little brother, an exercise physiologist, he told me that he didn't think it was a good idea, that we were not meant to run, etc. etc.   Ok THAT was IT.  He didn't think I could do it.  WELL I'M GOING TO SHOW HIM!!!! Running doesn't yet feel like flying, because I feel every one of my 58-year-old joints, but I love the freedom that it gives me.  My mind can drift, and I love the peace that I get.  And the look on my mom's face when I crossed the finish line of that half-marathon I ran Saturday ... that was worth all of it!  So that's why I'm doing this.   Well, that and I can eat whatever I want and maintain my weight.   Not that I'm eating that much as it is, but I am for now not worried about gaining it all back.   
Sherry_Berry
on 7/1/08 9:28 pm - Dacula, GA
As you can see from the races post...I don't have very many on my list...I "train to race" rather than "race to train" Especially at the ultra endurance level...racing a lot is a waste of time. Anyhoo-for me...why do I do it? Because I can. Never thought I could before. I would watch the shizzle on TV and think these people who do these things are natural-born athletes with super genetic capabilities. I'm competative with myself. i can ALWAYS do a better job. Is running a marathon fun after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112? Nope. It's the challenge of it. It's to hear Mikey Riley say, "Sherry Coulombe from Dacula, GA...YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!" Fast or Slow...I do it to improve "me." Besides...I'm totally conviced that if I didn't do this stuff I'd be a total fat azz again.
Seht
on 7/2/08 12:12 am
It is great to hear everyones reasons, thanks for sharing. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

JennyA
on 7/2/08 2:41 am - Eagan, MN
For the t-shirt. J
on 7/2/08 2:46 am
It's all about the bling! I decided I have to do a half or a full ironman now that I have seen Sherry-Berry's tattoo. I want one of those.    tattooed on my leg or ankle area.

Sherry_Berry
on 7/2/08 5:23 am - Dacula, GA
HA! People assume i will get one for EACH I do...nawt! One is enough! M-Dot all the way!
Seht
on 7/2/08 6:58 am
I think that is a cool tattoo. It is one that has meaning to you, and will always have that meaning.  It's not like signing someones name on your body, OMG that is the kiss of death to a relationship. For me, the tattoos I have all have a meaning that pertain to me or something in my life.  They are not just body art.  They are reminders about important things in my life. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to answer this question. Scott

Most Active