racing to complete vs racing to compete

Seht
on 6/30/08 4:53 am
I was just doing a little thinking, and you should all be warned, that it's dangerous when I do that. Here goes anyhow.  I see many people post that they are running, biking etc. and that they are doing it to see complete vs. compete. So I was just thinking why?   Being the competative jerk that I know I am, coming in last is while quite probabable, is not going to sit well with me, and will probably spark some competative drive.    I know it's an achievement, hell I couldn't even run 1/4 mile a year ago.  For that matter, I don't think I could have done it at any point in my life. So what motivates you to enter events, if it isn't the competition (or maybe it is competition).  Couldn't you prove the same thing on your own during a training run.  Isn't a 5k, 10k, or marathon the same distance no matter the cir****tances under which you run (not talking about environment or location). I just wanted to hear from people why they run/bike/swim besides the obvious health reasons. Thanks to anyone that wants to share. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

misstilly
on 6/30/08 5:03 am - Cosby, TN
I guess it is a little of both.  I do agree with you about coming in last that wouldn't set well with me either.  I think that running against someone has a great feeling.  This last Saturday at my 5K, when we started I watched this lady take off and  I lost sight of her I felt I should have been running that fast, but when it came down to crossing the finish line I was a good 3 minutes ahead of her and I felt great.  I do compete against myself everytime I run, if its improving time, running faster or just completeing a run. Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Soft And Lovely
on 6/30/08 5:10 am - IL
I'm definitely a "completer" at this point but I think there's probably a bit of a "competer" in nearly everyone who chooses to race.  For some the competition is just against oneself (that'd be my thing).  Yes I can work on improving my time without the benefit of an actual race but then it's not official validation of my accomplishment from an outside source.  I seem to need that for whatever reason. I think there's also an element of "legitimacy" for me too.  I can just exercise for exercise sake because it's good for me and it will help me lose my weight and keep it off.  But d*mmit I wanna be an "athlete"!  If I'm not competing, I don't fit my personal definition of athlete.  So I'll race to complete so that I feel like I am who I want to be.  Yeah my logic is screwy but it gets my butt out the door every day (so far anyway)!

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Dan_P.
on 6/30/08 5:34 am, edited 6/30/08 5:34 am - Baltimore, MD

I'm in it for: 1. The gear. 2. The race bibs I get to put on my wall at work. 3. The feeling of satisfaction I get for completing a more challenging race or a better personal time. 4. The feeling of commraderie (sp?). Even though I don't really hang out or talk to too many people. 5. Help teach my kids that sometimes it's not where you finish, but if you get in the game at all.

Soft And Lovely
on 6/30/08 9:39 am - IL
How could I forget role model for the kiddo!  She's so jazzed by this whole new exercise thing that she's even entered into her own kiddie race this summer!

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Judi J.
on 6/30/08 8:03 am - MN

I agree that it is both. For me, I started before I was ready so "not finishing last" was a valid goal. I could've pushed myself harder though and I poured over the race results looking for how I can improve. So yes, while it is good to beat our own previous times, it really helps to have someone coming up alongside you to push you harder.

Last October I was afraid to walk into the gym.

So, just completing something was a good next step for me.

But yeah, competition is good, makes us go harder, faster, etc. But at the end of the day, I just felt good that I accomplished something myself.

this post makes no sense. sorry!

Linn D.
on 6/30/08 8:08 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Scott, I'm a competer also.  I have a very competitive spirit, so it's very important for me to get better, faster, stronger.  The first tri I did I was at the bottom of my age group.  Hated that.  Knew I was capable of better.  The next one I was in the middle.  I can live with that.  I'd like to be in the upper quarter and eventually place (at least in my age group - I'm too old to compete with the 20-somethings). Before I pulled my hamstring and couldn't run, I did a 53:55 10k.  I want that back.  I'm not there yet, but I know I'm capable and that's what I'm working so hard for. I'm one of these people *****ally do need a goal to keep going.  I don't do ANYTHING just because - except visit and spend time with friends and family.  There's always an element of project completion or getting better or faster - even when I'm doing puzzles. I live in my head and analyze everything, so purpose is important to me - thus defining the goal. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but that's life in my world. Linn
Scott William
on 6/30/08 8:14 am
At the end of the day, I am still a 255lb 32 year old that is never going to win a race.  I will probably never win an age award and hopefully as more big people venture into the world of running, I will win lots of clydesdale awards.  Right now, though,  go out to do things that I have never done.  Perhaps running a P.R. or running farther than I have before.  I would like to complete an ultra race sometime in the near future.  The reason that I run marathons is that the more you run, the more impressive it sounds.   At my first, I ran into a guy who was running his 99th.  That impressed me a lot.  He ran his 100th the next month and was featured in Runner's World, real runners section.  I said, "I know that guy".  Anyway, the shirts and bibs are cool.  The medals are super cool and believe it or not, I have even started talking to people at races.  I am on the brink of joining an actual running club in my town. Running is not something that I just do anymore.  It has become part of who I am.  I work with about 200 people and I am the marathon guy.  When people have running questions, I am the guy.  I like that.  I guess that everyone needs a niche and mine are hot air ballooning and running.  Running controls me as much as I control it!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 6/30/08 8:27 am

First I want to say thanks to everyone that has answered. Secondly I guess I will answer my own question.  Well I guess I will probably ramble a bit as I try to quantify this and get a grasp on it myself. Originally  being a 441 pound guy, I never would have immagined doing something like this.  I of course thought that everyone wh ran or did anything resembling a Triathlon must be into pain.  I could never see or understand the fun of running.  How the hell could running be fun, and don't even get me started on the runners high.  Unless of course the runners high was that burning sensation in your chest and lungs that feels like you swallowed acid. Well since my WLS one of the goals I set for myself was a Triathlon.  I realize that I didn't pick Kona, or any of the Marathons.  Actually I don't ever see myself being able to do something like that.  Would I like to, or am I intreagued by it?  Yes I am, but I have 40 years of being the fat kid/guy and It just doesn't compute in my head when I look at those events. So I figure I'm going to try and ease myself into these events.  I will do a couple sprint tri's and if they and my workouts get easier, I'll move up to the next challenge.  I think that just maybe if I take baby steps, I'll be able to ease myself into believing that I can do one of the bigger events. So for me the running/biking/swimming/weights etc are me trying to keep my goals alive and not fail at something I set in front of myself. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 6/30/08 8:29 am - Baton Rouge, LA

I race to COMPLETE not to COMPETE and always will.   I race to beat the course not the guy that crosses the line first. 

I came in last at TriAmerica and it was a very humbling experience but I didn't quit and that's what matters to me deep down inside.   The course definately GOT me but it didn't get the BEST of me! 

You know what they call the guy or gal that crosses the finish line last in a triathlon?   They call that guy or gal a triathlete. 

Most Active