Race Report - Dreaded Druid Hills

Dan_P.
on 6/29/08 11:38 pm - Baltimore, MD
See now, hill running is not something that I ever usually actively seek out. This 10K though is very up front that you are running almost half the course on an incline. Some of it very steep. Mile 1. Rolling hills. 8:20 Mile 2. Missed the marker, but pace feels pretty good. Let's call it 17:00 Mile 3. Missed the marker again. Running downhill is fun! Mile 4. 36:26. Running uphill is less fun! Mile 4.5 or so. First time I stopped to walk in a race. The pitch of the second to last major hill got to me. I'd been rubberbanding with an older gentleman for most of the race. He kind of shuffles up the hills. I pass him and then he passes me. Able to pick up the run again at... Mile 5. Top of the biggest pitched hill. One more major one, but it's not as steep. Mile 6. Early finishers urging us on. I really do appreciate that. Nice and flat now. 1/4 mile to go. I catch up and pass the older gentleman to finish with a 56:47. I look at the race results today and find out he was first in the M 65-69 division. Dude was 69. May I be so lucky to be running at 69 let alone at that pace. Hot day on Saturday. Fruit and water to cool down. Had to really push fluids. Got a little shaky and light headed late morning. Overall a fun run. Looking forward to the next.
Linn D.
on 6/30/08 12:03 am - Missoula, MT
Great Job Dan!  Cool race report.  I love the "running downhill is fun!"  and "running uphill is less fun" parts.  My sentiments exactly! Glad you had a good race, and I also love to see the older folks still running.  I have a half marathon in a couple weeks, and there are quite a few registered who are over 60. Linn
Dan_P.
on 6/30/08 3:37 am - Baltimore, MD
It's definitely rewarding. If I can keep up running into my 60's I might even be a top age group finisher at some point!
Soft And Lovely
on 6/30/08 10:23 am - IL
Running until I'm so old there's no one else in my age group is my whole strategy for getting a first place prize at some point!  Thanks for the great race report.

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Seht
on 6/30/08 12:55 am
Congrats on your day.   I'm not so sure about any running up or down hill being fun, but I do know I feel good when I'm finished, so I'll take your word for it.  Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Dan_P.
on 6/30/08 3:36 am - Baltimore, MD
The finishing is always the main thing for me. The pace seems to take care of itself. Maybe at some point I'll try to improve my time.  I'm looking forward to the day I can do the PS thing and lose the belly flap when I run. I ran without headphones at lunch today and annoyed myself to no end. Step (flap!) Step (flap!) No sneaking up on people for me
Scott William
on 6/30/08 3:01 am
Way to go Dan.  Good time and funny observations.  There is a guy that shows up at all the races that I run.  I haven't got the heart to look up how old he is.  It would depress me.  I usually get him but sometimes, he gets me.  I should talk to the guy. As far as:    "Early finishers urging us on. I really do appreciate that". I hate it.  It feels like they are putting it in my face that they are Soooo much faster than me.  I know it's not the case but it sure feels like it, especially in the longer races.  Way to go!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Dan_P.
on 6/30/08 3:33 am - Baltimore, MD
Yeah. I've gotten so ****y that I just assume everyone cheering for anyone else is cheering just for me, early finishers or not. Imma getting an ego the size of Tokyo. Getting T-shirts printed up to hand out to people cheering me on at the marathon too!
Judi J.
on 6/30/08 8:18 am - MN
i like your comments at each mile. It'll be fun for you to compare them to how you feel after NEXT year's race. I am in awe, congrats! judi
kypdurran
on 6/30/08 12:25 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Grats Dan.  Hills really bust my ass.  Hard to find hills in S. Louisiana.  When I do my hill repeats I run up and down a parking garage at a college close to my office.  It's better than nothing. :)

Again, congrats and good luck on your next race.

Most Active