How do I Train for a Triathlon?

Leslee_Martin
on 6/28/08 10:26 am
Any good online training guides? Should I use a personal trainer? Any online groups.. ANY absolutely ANY good information on triathlons would be appreciated. It's a huge goal of mine, and I want plenty of time to prepare and train for my first one! It's going to be my celelbration of making my goal! Two goals: Reach my ideal weight, and race in a Triathlon! Thanks, Leslee
368/190/220/140

Before/Lowest/Current/Goal  I have come too far to take orders from a cookie!

Sherry_Berry
on 6/28/08 10:32 am - Dacula, GA
beginnertriathlete.com slowtwitch.com kickrunners.com (they have a multisport forum) If you register there...put Tithers as your referral...I moderate teh MS forum... There are many basic online programs out there... Many sprints have you doing only a 400y swim, 13 mile bike...5k run. There are super/mini sprints that are less in distance. Good to get your feet wet! If you are new to swimming, a few lessons goes a loooooooong way!
Leslee_Martin
on 6/28/08 11:19 am
Perfect! Thank you! Much more info then I got just from googling. leslee
368/190/220/140

Linn D.
on 6/28/08 10:54 am - Missoula, MT
Ditto Sherry. By the way, she's doing Ironmans!  She also coaches a tri team so she really is a wealth of information. There are also quite a few others on this board who are also training/doing triathlons, and most of us post our daily workouts.  Mine may be a little different because my bigger focus is running, but I do spin classes and swimming 2-3 days a week as well.  I would say, train for and do the tri regardless of whether you're at goal weight or not.  Don't let that be a stumbling block for attaining another goal!  People of all ages, shapes, and sizes do these, and they're great! I may never get to a 'normal' BMI (4+ years post-op) but I've done 3 half marathons, a full marathon, 2 sprint triathlons, am doing another half in 2 weeks and a tri in 6.  I've also done many 5 and 10k races and I've never made it to ANYBODY'S goal weight. Let the training begin! Linn
Leslee_Martin
on 6/28/08 11:19 am
oh wow! that's awesome That you've done so much and not being at "normal" BMI, I guess I kinda thought the two went together...but I can still be fit and do stuff like that.. great! O.K great challenges up ahead for me! thanks! Leslee
368/190/220/140

Sherry_Berry
on 6/28/08 11:31 am - Dacula, GA
Crap...I have a buttload of muscle, but BMI wise...I'm obese...yarp! You'll be fine!
Leslee_Martin
on 6/28/08 11:37 am
whoa! CRAZY!! "obese" what a foul word! lol. You guys are inspiring already, can't wait to get to know people around this forum! yay! leslee
368/190/220/140

Soft And Lovely
on 6/28/08 12:15 pm - IL
Here's a link to a great training plan that someone posted for me when I came here looking for guidance.  Hope it helps you! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?art icleid=262

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Chris Zane
on 6/28/08 12:25 pm
My first tri was a sprint course.  I took a tri class at the local Y and basically just tried to do each sport at least 2 times each week.  Sometimes I would run 3 times because that is my weakest area.  About a month before the actual race, I started doing brick workouts - bike and then run - the same distance as the actual race would be.  I also did one open water swim - I would have liked to do more, but it was really cold out.
Most Active