Cheetah Chase 5k

Mifiremedic
on 6/28/08 10:30 pm - MI
Well as much as I didnt want to do this 5K, because I should be doing my first triathlon of the season. Okay, enough of that..

I was awaken this morning by the sound of heavy rain. For a second, I think about sleeping in and not going to the 5K.

Well the competitor side of me got the best of me, and I got out of bed around 6:30am. I prepare my usual bowl of oatmeal and toast. My wife comes down and says she will stay home because of the rain, if its okay with me. At this point, I figure it would be better for me for them to stay home so I wouldnt have to listen to them complain about it raining.

I ask my oldest daughter to come with me. She agrees, but complains. Oh well she will get over it.

We arrive about 0715 for a 0800 race. I pay the entrance fee, collect my goodies, and head back to the truck. As of right now its not raining, and looks like a great day to run. I would say its probably 70 degrees, a bit humid, and overcast.

I do a bit of stretching, and line up at the head of the 8 minutes or more line. I was hoping for a 25 minute 5K, so I thought 8 minute mile would be a good start. I line up at about 0755am. Well at about 0815, the MC announces that they will wait a few more minutes to allow those who showed up late to line up.

At this point, I am feeling my legs start to tighten. I just wanted to yell, "LETS GO"... Gosh, let the later sleepers catch up later. I got out of bed earlier enough to get here on time.

At about 0825am, they decide to start. Just as the horn blows, the rain starts to come down. At this point, I'm complaining to myself, that had they started on time, I would be just about done, and not getting wet. ugghhhhhhhhhh

Having never run this course, I have no idea what to expect. So I set in to a nice semi fast pace. However, just as I enter the zoo, I notice wet, wood planking. A number of people slipped as entering the zoo, because you had to run thru the turnbuclkles. So I am afraid of falling, and looking like a schmuck.

At the 1st mile, I am running a 8.5 mile minute. All right, what a concept, I am running the race I wanted.

This course had lots of twists and turns. Lots of wood decking, and LOTS of up and down hills. I was in good shape for the 5K, and felt strong, but the late start, and the hills really slowed me down.

I finished in 28:08. Actually my chip time was probably more like 27:45. I finished 261/952, and 36/58 in my age group. My first 5K was 28:30. So I finished with a faster time, but you cant compare the two races, because they were two totally different races.

I was very happy with this race. It was very challenging, but rewarding.

Curt
Scott William
on 6/28/08 11:26 pm
Way to go Curt.  I wonder if waiting for the others to show is a regional thing.  Here is New England, they wouldn't dream of waiting.  Okay, one race we waited like two minutes for some late arrivals but beside that they go on time. It sounded like a race that wasn't suited for a fast time.  Congrats on the finish.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Mifiremedic
on 6/29/08 12:20 am - MI
Every other race I've done this year started promptly. If you werent in line, oh well...

One of my daughters friends, who is a All State caliber cross country athlete in high school, said that this race was very hard as well...
Linn D.
on 6/28/08 11:39 pm - Missoula, MT
Nice race, Curt! I'd say that's a really good time for that race.  I'm glad you're glad you went and did it!  Have a great day! Linn
Mifiremedic
on 6/29/08 12:21 am - MI
Yes, it was a good race for many reasons. It gave me a shot of confidence that I very much needed going into next weeks triathlon.
liz A.
on 6/29/08 12:56 am
I was SUPPOSED to do this one too!   I was curious how the course was going to be....I have been to the zoo before, but couldnt remember much of the layout. I'm kind of glad I didnt do this one though.   I would NOT have been prepared.  nice work though!!! p.s.  I've been "hanging out" with this guy & his sister & her hubby do triatholons (sp) often & she asked him if I'd be interested in those.  (I have yet to meet her)  I was like "ummmm.....NO."   hahahhahhaahaaha. I only dog paddle. 

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Mifiremedic
on 6/29/08 1:37 am - MI
So WHY didnt you do this 5K? It would have been great to meet you..

You should go to Benton Harbor this coming weekend and watch a great triathlon. It might put you in the mood to try a triathlon next year. www.firecrackertri.com

Have a great weekend.

Curt
liz A.
on 6/29/08 1:48 am
cause of my leg acting up & my doc told me to stop running.   to which the physical therapists I now see say is not correct. anyway, yeah.

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Mifiremedic
on 6/29/08 1:50 am - MI
Okay, Youre off the hook then... ha ha.. I may be in your area in October. I am gonna do a half marathon, and cant decide between GR and Detroit... Keep in touch.. Curt
Seht
on 6/29/08 1:23 am
Congrats on finishing a hard day. Sounds like there were plenty of reasons to have a bad day, and you overcame all of them. Good for you! Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active