Hill strategies when running

MaryS
on 6/28/08 1:37 am - Long Island, NY
I was wondering how everyone conquers the hills when they are out running?  I think it is more of a mental thing for me than physical, but either way the hills really do a number on me.  Of course I have gotten better with time, but I would like to be able to take them more in stride.  Any suggestions?

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 6/28/08 2:09 am
Here is some advice from the U.S. Mountain Racing champion - Eric Blake.  Shorten your stride and pick  an object ahead to run to like a tree or mailbox.  Run to that object and pick another up ahead.  Before you know it, you are at the top. Eric and I went to college together.  He just won the Mt. Washington Road Race for the second time. You could follow his advice or mine - put your head down and walk! 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 6/28/08 6:29 am - Missoula, MT
When I run hills, I can't look at the top.  It's too foreboding for me.  I kind of just put my head down and trudge up.  I only look a few feet ahead of me and I also shorten my stride quite a bit.  That last tri that I did had a pretty tough hill at the beginning, and I still ended up doing that 5K in under 29 minutes. Anyway, that's my strategy - duck your head and go.  Then all of a sudden you're at the top and get to go down! Linn 
Sherry_Berry
on 6/28/08 8:48 am - Dacula, GA
I quicken my pace, shorten my step and pick a landmark and focus.
Chris Zane
on 6/28/08 12:12 pm
My running coach says to shorten your stride which will result in a faster turn over of your feet.  Lean into the hill and swing your arms harder like you would in a sprint.
Most Active