Medication??

Beth R.
on 6/27/08 12:50 pm
Hey guys and dolls. I'm training for my first Marathon. Nov. 16. Yeah!! But, I have been having some muscle discomfort. I'm stretching and all that. Every Marathon book I've read, says, ibuprofen is your friend. I was told, after gastric bypass, we can no longer take ibuprofen, or aspirin, again. Is this true, and if so, what do you guys take in place of that? Tylenol doesn't cut it for me!! BTW...I am doing Hal Higdon's Training Guide. Any pointers? I'm on week 2 and loving it!!!

Beth
"what a ride"

Linn D.
on 6/27/08 1:24 pm - Missoula, MT
This is something you really need to discus with either your PCP or surgeon.  Some of us take it, others don't.  The two of you should decide whether or not the benefits outweigh the risks. That being said, nothing else touches most of my pain, so I use it sparingly at times.  I also use naproxen for joint pain at times.  Anytime I've ever needed to use it for more than 2 days I have always gotten stomach pain, so I use it as little as possible. Eventually you'll get used to the time on your feet and the muscles will also get used to being used more.  Linn
Sherry_Berry
on 6/27/08 6:49 pm - Dacula, GA
Which of Hal's plans are you using b/c some of them get into HIGH MILAGE... Are you stretching? What's your base and what are you running now? If you're only 2 weeks into the plan and you've ramped up your milage quickly you will hurt. With that said, I see a sports chiro on a weekly/bi-weekly basis to get stretched out, active release therapy and graston when needed. I call it my "maintenence plan" He keeps my right foot and left IT band in check...
kypdurran
on 6/27/08 8:14 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

First congrats on your marathon training!   Crossing that finish line of your first marathon is going to change your life forever.  

Ice packs should be your best friend right now.   Get one for each knee and calf / shin.   Ice will help greatly with the discomfort.  If you can do without the meds do without them but if you have to take something talk to your doctor and see what he recommends.   Some can take asprin / Advil type medications in low doses and some can't.  He'll steer you in the right direction. 

As everyone else said make sure you are stretching before and after running and don't increase your mileage too fast.  

Best of luck!

Chad

Beth R.
on 6/27/08 9:56 pm
Thanks everyone for your help. I am stretching before and after each run. I am doing Hal Higdon's Novice Training Schedule. I have been running about 20 miles per week prior to the training. My shoes could be the culprit. I have had them since March, and with all the running, they may be worn out already. Thank you guys! I appreciate all the help!!

Beth
"what a ride"

MaryS
on 6/28/08 1:44 am - Long Island, NY
Beth, To add to everyone's great advice, you might want to try using a foam roller for the sore spots.  My physical therapist swears by it and says it will help break up the knots and tight spots.  It isn't fun to do, but I do feel better afterwards.  Here is a link to some exercises: http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/P DF/FoamRoller.pdf Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 6/28/08 2:25 am
Here is my wonder tip to add.  Try an ice bath after you run.  Pick up a bag of ice before you run and have it ready.  When you get back sit in the tub first and then start the cold water.  When it gets above your hips and thys, throw in the ice.  It will probably melt pretty quickly so maybe two bags are needed.  I would try to stay in for 10-15 minutes.  I guarantee that you will feel better after than without the ice bath.  Even a cold water bath will help if you can't get the ice. Like Chad said, ice for the specific spots helps too.  You can fill some cups with water and freeze them.  After a run, grab one and use it to massage the problem area.  Keep it moving around until the general area is numb.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active