HOW LONG BEFORE YOU START SEEING RESULTS?

Sandy G.
on 6/27/08 4:56 am - Henderson/Las Vegas, NV
I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT BUT ABOUT HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE BEFORE YOU START SEEING RESULTS? i AM ONLY JUST BEGINNING A WEIGHTS CLASS AT THE GYM. IT IS CALLED 24 LIFT AT 24 HOUR FITNESS. THE CLASS IS ABOUT 60 MINUTES LONG WORKING WITH DUMBBELLS AND BARBELLS. I HAD MY FIRST CLASS AND THOUGHT MY ARMS WERE GOING TO FALL OFF LAST NIGHT. I'M GOING TO CONTINUE THE CLASS TWO TIMES PER WEEK AND DO SOMETHING ELSE ANOTHER TIME TIMES PER WEEK. THANKS, SANDY
Linn D.
on 6/27/08 9:23 am - Missoula, MT
Sandy, It's kind of hard trying to answer your question because you didn't say what your goals were. You should see strength and toning improvements in just a couple of weeks. Do you do any cardio activities?  You'll get the greatest health benefits overall from good cardio workouts where your heart rate is increased for at least 30 minutes a day.  These workouts can be anything from brisk walking, hiking, biking, elliptical trainers, swimming - really anything.  You don't even have to be training for anything, but our bodies just function better when cardio health is also addressed. I exercise for long term health benefits.  There are strokes and heart attacks in my family, so I want to keep that sort of thing at bay as much as possibe.  But, I also like training for activities.  It helps to keep me motivated and I love to see improvements in speed and endurance. Linn
Leslee_Martin
on 6/28/08 10:10 am
I'm new to this board, but I'll jump right and and say.. um..yeah I don' t know! I'm wondering the same thing. Usually when I "try to lose weight" I do something really extreme and do NO carbs atkins for a few days, lose 10 lbs, can't stick with it, gain it all back.. .THIS time (since that obviously was NOT working for me) I decided to track what I eat, try to keep it reasonable, between 1100 and 1800 a day and add TONS of working out. I've been working out (hard) for at least two hours a day. Like today I did an hour and fourty five min hike, a 60 min spin class (which KICKS MY BUTT and I think I'm literally going to die every time I do it) and then I'm playing wii fit tonight. So I'm burning like 1500 calories a day sometimes, and eating around 1,200 a day.... I'm used to losing weight super fast cause I do some sort of crash version of atkins or something. But I've been doing this for a week, and i'm a little discouraged because instead of seeing a 10 lb loss in 7 days, I've seen a 3 lb loss...and I"m freaking working my butt off!!!! And my calories really aren't that high! HOWEVER, I have also lost .5 inc of my thighs, 2.5 off my waist and 2 off my hips.  So it's been a week and although I"m not extatic about the weight loss, I guess the inch loss is pretty good for 6 days? So.. yeah, I guess it just depends on how hard you work, how much you eat, what your goals are..weight loss, muscle gain...etc. A lady in my spin class told me to add the gyms step class, spinning class and weight class each week and that within a month people will start asking me "what have you been doing?"... so I say anything less than a month isn't really giving it a fair shot. But maybe judge weekly and if you're not seeing ANY result of ANY sort, maybe tweak it a bit? Good luck! Leslee
368/190/220/140

Before/Lowest/Current/Goal  I have come too far to take orders from a cookie!

Most Active