One Mile Race -- Report

Scott William
on 6/27/08 4:18 am
Last night was my one mile race that I have been training for, for about 3 weeks.  I have been running a lot for a while but doing the specific speed work for 3 weeks. Anyway, it is called the Cannon Ball Run because a guy blasts a cannon to start the race.  It also starts ou down hill so it feels like you are blasted out of a connon. We started on a down hill for about the first 100 yards and then it leveled out.  I went through the first 1/4 at 1:27 which was WAY faster than any of my training said I should have.  Keep that pace and I was looking at a 5:48 mile.  My time last year was 6:33 so I was ahead of schedule.   I knew that I couldn't keep that, though.   The second 1/4 is mostly a slight incline.  I did that 1/4 in 1:42.  A lot slower but if I could even it out, I was still on pace for a 6:18 and the race was mostly a slight decline for the rest of the way.  By now my heart is racing and my legs are feeling tired but are holding up.  My half way split was 3:09. The third quarter, like I said was slightly down hill.  I am talking like .5 to 1%.  Nothing major.  For this 1/4 I wanted to pick it up a little to set myself up for a tough fourth 1/4.  I did and ran the third 1/4 in 1:36.  That was my best paced 1/4 of the race.  I went through the final check point in 4:45. If I can just bang out a 1:45 last quarter, I have my last time beat no problem.  It should have been easy but wait.  My legs feel like jelly.  I really thought that I was running my second fastest split.  Me and the little 13 year old girl right in front of me were cruising.   I thought I was flying and had it easily.  I hit my watch at the finish and guess what -- 6:33!  Same time as last year.  Kind of sucked but I can deal with that.  With my work schedlue, I don't train or sleep nearly enough so how much can I ask for. Here is the kicker.  The official results come in about 20 minutes after I finish  6:34!!  That felt like a slight kick to the nuts which ladies, surprisingly hurts quite a bit.  Anyway, it's tomorrow and I'm over it.  Next year!!! Told you that I could make a long boring report out of a one mile race.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 6/27/08 4:36 am - Missoula, MT
Scott,  You're too funny!  I laughed out loud!!!  In fact, I'm still giggling. Sounds like it really was a fun race!  Thanks for posting since I was wondering how it went for you. Linn
MaryS
on 6/27/08 6:01 am - Long Island, NY
Scott, Great report - sounds like a fun race.  I have to tell you 6:33/6:34 is just an amazing time to me!  What a tremendous accomplishment! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Seht
on 6/27/08 7:08 am

Sorry about that :01 second adjustment. But I still think it's amazing.  I can barely  run  a 12 minute mile. Congrats ! Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 6/27/08 7:44 am - Dacula, GA
You are ZIPPY!!!!!!!!!! I woulda puked my brains out for sure!
Kevin A.
on 6/27/08 8:02 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I think I would take the slight kick in the nuts than trying to run balls out for a mile!!!

Great run!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
kypdurran
on 6/27/08 8:16 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

You were flying man!  That's awesome.  

Soft And Lovely
on 6/28/08 10:17 am - IL
awsome time!!  Thanks for the race report.  I need to find me one of these mile races.

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Dan_P.
on 6/29/08 11:11 pm - Baltimore, MD
Next year, try to catch the cannonball that gets fired at the start. Great report Scott. Did you beat the 13 year old?
Most Active