attaching race number

Seht
on 6/26/08 6:56 am
So, I want to make sure I have everything i need for a Triathlon. The question fo attaching race numbers has come up. What is used for this, do you pin them on, do you need to bring pins for this?  I have seen race belts mentioned, and what do you do for your bike? I know they will mark your legs prior to the swim, but I was more interested in the others. Thanks Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 6/26/08 7:26 am - Missoula, MT
Scott, The 2 I've done have both been a little different.  The first didn't have a number for the bike, the second one did.  The second also had a number for the helmet.  The bike number attached around the frame with a number on both sides.  It was self-adhesive.  Marking is usually right arm left leg. The bib number is generally only required for the run portion, which is why some people use race belts.  They can just pull up a belt when they get ready to run.  The bib number can be a nuisance on the bike, which is another reason folks just use a belt.  If you remember, I ended up pulling on a shirt (with the number pinned on it) over a wet body after the swim (what a pain), and for the next one, I'm going to use a skirt that has a place for the number so I don't have those issues. Pins are generally supplied for any race I've ever done. Hope this is what you wanted to know. Linn
Seht
on 6/26/08 7:56 am
Yep, thanks a lot. Scott

Seht
on 6/26/08 7:57 am
Well I did it, I am committed to the race, I just paid my entry fee. UGH I am already having butterflys. Scott

Linn D.
on 6/26/08 8:07 am - Missoula, MT
Cool! Isn't it funny how paying the money makes the commitment more real?  I'm actually getting excited for my next one alrady and it's still 2 months away. Have a great time with it! Linn
Seht
on 6/26/08 8:42 am
Yeah 2 1/2 months for me, but that gives me just the right amount of time to run through the training plan I borrowed from beginnertriathlete

kypdurran
on 6/26/08 2:32 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

Get a race belt along with a couple of safety pins to attach it TO the race belt.  The little clips that I have on mine don't hold it on well enough when I race.   Depending on where your race is and if you need a wetsuit or not you could wear your race belt rolled up under your wetsuit.  This will save you 15 seconds or so in T1.

Most races requre you to wear the race belt from the bike to finish.   Some don't care about the bike and only care about you having it on during the run.  It all depends on the race, if they are using electronic timing chips and how well organized they are.  

The big thing about your first tri is go out and have fun!  You aren't going to win but you will gain valuable experience on what this whole crazy tri thing is about.   If you are like me you'll be thinking about your next race while you are finishing up the race you are doing.

Best of luck Scott.  I look forward to reading your race report after the race.   Heh, being your first tri it should be a good one!

Chad

donnainhouston
on 6/26/08 10:49 pm - League City, TX

Hey Scott!

Congrats on making the commitment; that's awesome.  You'll have a blast.  Like Chad says, just go and have fun.  I just finished my first solo tri a couple weeks ago and am already thinking about the next one (in August).

I used a race belt, and Chad's suggestion is good, bring some pins.  My clips held my number, but I saw where others had issues.  I folded the top of my number over to make it thicker and give the clips something more to hold.  Also, if you have an elasticized belt, attach the number to the belt while wearing it, then take it off.

You'll be give a ton of tags... for your bike, helmet, racegear... you'll be wondering what to do with them all! 

OH... here's a tip I appreciated.  I put my socks on, then rolled them off.  I left them in roll and it was easy to roll them back on, even over damp feet.  Some don't wear socks at all, but I have to!

Good luck!  Can't wait to read about your progress.

Donna

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Seht
on 6/27/08 1:40 am
Thanks for all the suggestions! Scott

Most Active