Question

misstilly
on 6/26/08 2:15 am - Cosby, TN
I want to start increasing my distance. I now run 3.5 miles at 5.8.  Do I increase the speed first or should I push for distance?  I know this sounds like a dumb question.  the way I have doing it so far is to run at the same speed and just go further by maybe a half mile, then I increase the speed when I can run without alot of heavy breaths.  I am new to all this and I would like to consider doing a 10K.  I have only done 1-5K, but I am intreeged (sp) by 10K's.  I don't plan on trying to do one right away maybe in few months. Thanks, Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Linn D.
on 6/26/08 3:07 am - Missoula, MT
Sue, Speed work and distance work are two different critters.  Both can be done, but you'd work on speed one day and distance another. There are lots of running resources even on the web that will give you different ways to work on speed.  As far as distance goes, the experts say to increase distance by 10% each week. When you work on distance, it's better for a while that you use a slower speed but go longer (I'd say up to a mile on two of your runs).  If I remember right, you're running 5 days a week or 17.5 total miles.  A 10% increase would be to 19.25 total miles.   I'm sure I don't do it anybody's right way, but this is what I do.  I have a training plan that tells me how many miles to run each day.  I get specific training plans because it's just easier for me.  Most training plans call for one longer distance, one shorter distance, and 2-3 moderate distance runs.  One of the moderate ones can be a speed workout where you start at your normal speed for 10 minutes then do 5 minute intervals of a faster speed (up to 0.5mph faster), followed by 2 minutes at normal speed then repeat for a total of 4 intervals then end with 5-10 minutes at normal speed.  That's the way my marathon plan worked the speed in.  Then every couple weeks or so try to increase your base speed by 0.1mph. You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to run further when you also work speed in. I'm sure you'll get some other very good responses.  Incorporate what you feel most comfortable with.  Sometimes time is an issue and you just have to work in what you have time for. Linn
Scott William
on 6/26/08 4:09 am
My short answer is that you can do which ever you like better.  Typically, if you want to run far, you will run slower.  My long run may be two minutes slower than my 10K pace.  The important thing is to be out there for a while, not how quickly you run when doing the long run.  The speed will come from tempo runs and speed work. - Mile repeats are an example.  If I were you, I wouls keep the same speed that you are running now and increase the milage like you are doing.  If you do one long run, one tempo run and one speed workout a week, you are on the right track. B****empo run is a run that is a bit slower than race pace.  At the distance you are at now, your first tempo run may be 3 miles at one minute slower than your 5K pace.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active