Oh my aching quads

NicoleLynn
on 6/25/08 5:46 am - Minneapolis, MN
Does anyone know of any good stretches that I can do to help my quads?  The class I took Monday night did a number on them and it is still painful to do the stairs (especially down) and sitting down/standing up. I know what the culprit is...5 minutes of squats and 5 minutes of lunges I rarely do those and while I didn't feel like I was dying during class I am sure feeling it now 2 days later.  Also would running/walking be a good or bad thing right now?  Thanks!

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Linn D.
on 6/25/08 5:53 am - Missoula, MT
Walking would be great for them! When I'm sore after a long run, or after the last tri, I do as much moving around as possible because that's what works the lactic acid out of the muscles.  Don't work them too hard, mind you, but I thnk keeping moving is the best thing. Linn
NicoleLynn
on 6/25/08 6:02 am - Minneapolis, MN
Sounds good Linn.  I did walk around the mall for about an hour yesterday just window shopping.  I will go for a nice strong walk tonight after work and get that lactic acid moved on out!

NicoleLynn
on 6/25/08 2:39 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for the suggestion Linn, I took a nice 50 minute walk and covered about 3.15 miles.  I was suprised that once I started out it felt good so I am definitely going to go to yoga tomorrow then hopefully I can go for a run on Friday!

Linn D.
on 6/25/08 2:44 pm - Missoula, MT
I'm glad you seem to be feeling better, Nicole. The second day after is usually the worst, so since you're past that now and did some walking tonight you SHOULD feel quite a bit better tomorrow.  It doesn't always work out that way, but that's the general rule - and keeping moving really does help. Linn
Scott William
on 6/26/08 4:14 am
If you put both knees on the floor and make yourself erect then lean back slightly you will feel a gentle pull in the quads.  It is an easy way to stretch them.  You can also get in the down lunge position and push forward so that the leg with the knee on the ground pulls a little.  This does the same thing.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
NicoleLynn
on 6/26/08 12:11 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Thank you Scott!  I am going to try those tonight and in the morning because they are still a little sore although not nearly as bad as Tuesday and Wednesday!

Most Active