Swimming Challenge

donnainhouston
on 6/24/08 11:26 pm - League City, TX

I know we have quite a few multi-sport players here.  Some of you are already quite accomplished, and others are great in some areas, but not quite as strong in others.

For me, my weakness is swimming and I want to get better at it.  So I was thinking maybe there is something we can do here to help each of us stick to our commitments of getting in the pool.  Just a thought.  Anyone interested?

Also, I need find some good training material.  My form is pretty good now, but I need to train for distance/endurance.  Seems like I have great cardio endurance in most areas, but it doesn't transfer to the pool well.

Can anyone recommend some good drills that would help me with endurance in the water?

Donna

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Mifiremedic
on 6/25/08 12:06 am - MI
Donna,

Swimming is my weakness as well. I have a feeling its because of years of swimming the "wrong way". Its kinda like, cant teach an ole dog, new tricks.

The best way to learn the proper techniques is to get some professional help. Ive also bought some swimming books in hopes of helping me. I read the total immersion book, and also watched the DVD. It helped, but I just dont seem to improve as much as I'd like.

Good luck, and be sure to pass along your knowledge to all us as well.

Curt
donnainhouston
on 6/25/08 12:22 am, edited 6/25/08 12:24 am - League City, TX

It's not so much that I'm swimming the wrong way, it's moreso making that commitment to getting in the pool more regularly! :P

A lot of us post our workouts here, just thought that maybe the same could be done for swimming. Sometimes seeing what others are doing sparks a idea as to how we can improve our own tactics.

At least being accountable to one another for getting in the pool more regularly might be a source of motivation to do it.

Just a thought. :)

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Mifiremedic
on 6/25/08 1:00 am - MI
Yes, being accountable to others is a very good training tool. However, I need the face to face peer pressure when it comes to swimming.

Running, biking and weight loss, I am up for any type of challenge, but swimming is different animal for me...

However, I will do whatever is needed to motivate others.
Linn D.
on 6/25/08 12:22 am - Missoula, MT
Donna, I'm also not a strong swimmer.  After my last tri (and recovery week) I decided to be in the pool minimum twice a week, 3 if I'm good.  Of 79 women finishers, I was probably 75th out of the water and finished 55th.  I agree that overall endurance doesn't transfer well to swimming, but it's so much different that you need a completely different mindset for swimming (at least I do anyway).   I don't really do drills, but I saw a training schedule a while back on the exrx website with some drills.  There's a link in this page under "Exercise and Fitness Information" to the left.  I think I searched triathlon training I start Pharmacy school in the fall, and it looks like there is one swimming class that fits into my schedule.  I'm already signed up for 17 credits, so what's one more going to hurt?  It won't help for the next one, but should do wonders for next year's races. That's my plan.   Linn
Sherry_Berry
on 6/25/08 1:50 am - Dacula, GA
Swimming is all technique-when I have time later I'll post some drills. Total Immersion-I'm a fan...teaches you the most important thing balance. With that said...you have to undo a lot of what TI teaches you. I totally used to overexaggerate all my moves...I was an over rotator and my arms did "dramatic" things. I've probably taken a total of 5 lessons of the past year and a half. I LOVE my swim coach...she turned me in the right direction.
Mifiremedic
on 6/25/08 3:04 am - MI
Sherry,

Did you take a TI course or just read the books/DVD's?

I'm impressed with the swim workouts your putting in.

I cant wait to hear about what your coach did to get you going.

Sherry_Berry
on 6/25/08 3:10 am - Dacula, GA
I did the DVD and the book...although, I'm not much of "getting it through reading" My instructor is a TI instructor...with that said, she didn't have to teach me the basics, but she did fix my exaggerations. W/her new swimmers she takes them through the balance drills, then progresses to the strroke drills, then the stroke. The BESTEST thing I like about my coach is that she has an underwater camera. That's a MUST for me. Not that I want to see my jiggly thighs...but, I want to see what's going on under water. You can tell me all you want that my pull is funny, but until I see it, I don't get it. KWIM? It's also good, once you progress to a certain point to get another lesson from another person. Different ways of explaining things... EX-my "other" swim coach was Carole Sharpless...I didn't quite understand what to do underwater until she said "pretend like your arm is hugging a keg." Alcohol must speak to me!
Mifiremedic
on 6/25/08 3:14 am - MI
Pretend your hugging a keg? WTF? haha... Ive hugged the stool after drinking too much at the keg...haha

Soft And Lovely
on 6/25/08 3:46 am - IL
I'm up for a swimming challenge.  I just hope they dont keep closing the pool at work.  It's getting frustrating!

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Most Active