A self-indulgent detailing of this past weekend's head-trip...

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/08 10:56 am, edited 6/23/08 10:56 am - Island Heights, NJ
You guys are among the few people that could actually understand exactly where I'm coming from with this line of thinking...

http://maximumcat.livejournal.com/
Linn D.
on 6/23/08 11:28 am - Missoula, MT
Cool, AJ! I've heard that Coeur d'Alene is a great race.  If I can manage to do one in the next 2 years (since I'll be in school), that's the one I'll do (I live in western Montana). Yeah, I look at kids too and think, "don't the parents know what they're doing to their kids?"  My husband's neice feeds her kids hot dogs, burritos, pizza, fried chicken, burgers and fries - everything processed or take-out - because she won't learn how to cook.  Now her oldest won't eat anything else and she's only 6!  Baaaaad habits that start that early are very difficult to reverse.  These poor kids don't even have a chance... Linn
MaryS
on 6/23/08 12:26 pm - Long Island, NY
Everything really seemed to fall in place for you, looks like you are meant to do the IronMan Coeur d'Alene. I think everyone here would be in agreement with you about the children and what they were/are eating. It is heartbreaking to think about the lifetime of pain there are heading towards. I certainly know all about it as I was overweight for as long as I can remember. I do think the battle has to start with the children.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

MelissaM39
on 6/23/08 1:15 pm - MI
We have an awful time getting our 6 year old to eat anything that's not in a box, can or drive through.  Her mother lets her eat that crap cuz it's easy and she doesn't have to put any effort into it.  When she's with us she litterally won't eat.  I wish I had an ounce of her will power.  Good lord!  I also wish I could teach her something about healthy foods.  I will keep trying and hope it makes a difference at some point.

Soft And Lovely
on 6/23/08 1:43 pm - IL
That is awsome!!  The Ironman is a big step and if anybody's ready to take it I think you are.  I have thought if I ever get myself into any kind of shape, I'd like to maybe try teaching a community education class on fitness for children with weight issues.  I was that fat kid and I wish there had been somerhing like that out there for me. 

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

NicoleLynn
on 6/25/08 6:50 am - Minneapolis, MN
My sister taught a class just like that at her local fitness center.  She is a middle school/high school health teacher, Health Coach and Personal Trainer.  She educated the kids on how to eat right, why to eat right, exercise, goal setting, and other stuff that helps kids to stay or get healthy.  If you are ever interested in getting info on what she taught let me know! 

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Kevin A.
on 6/23/08 2:59 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Wow!! My heart is racing now!!

Best wishes on your journey!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Rob S.
on 6/23/08 9:08 pm - DE
A.J., Still going for the gusto!  I love living through your exploits.  You really know how to take advantage of the new opportunity that you've been given.  June will be here before you know it.   About those kids...  Isn't it amazing, that if it's junk it's cheap, if it's healthy it's expensive.  So how does the cycle get broken.  I am co-chairing the Walk from Obesity in Delaware next year.  It's a small step, but I'm hoping we can start to get the message out at elementary and junior high schools and save a few lives.  By the time these kids enter high school, they have all the answers, so the opportunity to change a few minds decreases significantly. Keep us posted. Rob  
Seht
on 6/24/08 3:07 am
That's great A.J. Good luck with your training, you are sure to do fine. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active