Padded cycling shorts

Leth62
on 6/22/08 8:03 am - St.Marys, OH
Hi OH friends, I am in need of opinions/suggestions with the purchase of padded cycling shorts. I will be participating in a community corporate challenge in September,doing a 25 mile bike ride. I am told the padded shorts are a must.  Can you please tell me what to look for or  to avoid when selecting a style? Is there a good name brand to consider? Different amounts of padding? I have looked on Ebay at several offerings, but I do not have knowledge of what to look for. Thank you in advance for all of your help. Lisa Bike Riding 
Linn D.
on 6/22/08 10:34 am - Missoula, MT
Lisa, There are all sorts of good cycling short out there, but the best ones are going to be what you feel most comfortable in.  I have some I wear to spin classes, another I wear mountain biking, and I just bought a pair for triathlons.  They all have their purpose.  If you can, go try some on at a bike store.  The ones you find there will be the most padded, and if you're not used to being on a bike, that's what you'll need. Linn
Leth62
on 6/22/08 11:44 pm - St.Marys, OH
Thank you Linn for your input. I will need to go try them on. Lisa
donnainhouston
on 6/24/08 11:19 pm - League City, TX

Just about anything you find in a reputable bike store would be decent.  :)

In my opinion, I am partial to the Pearl iZumi Ultra Sensors. They'll run about $80 and up, depending on where you find them, but I like the seamless construction and the compression of the fabric. 

Also, keep in mind that the pad in women's cycling shorts is a slightly different shape then what you'll find in men's shorts or even Unisex. 

I'm not sure what size you are, but I'll share this info because there might be some plus-sized cyclists here lurking.  Junonia.com has some decent cycling gear for women.  Their shorts have seams, but the cut is very comfortable.  They also offer cycling jerseys that are not as clingy as traiditional club jerseys (with the elastic at the bottom)

Mt. Borah also has plus sized jerseys and shorts, as does AeroTek, who will customize requests.

If you're on the low-end of the plus size spectrum terry-bicycles.com and teamestrogen.com have some plus size offerings.

Send me a private message; I actually have some biking apparel you might be interested in.  Pay shipping and it's yours.  It was always a struggle for me to find plus-sized gear, so I'm real empathetic towards those having a challenge.

Hope this helps,

Donna :)

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Leth62
on 6/25/08 12:38 am - St.Marys, OH
Hi Donna. Thank you for taking the time to give me the valuable information. I appreciate it very much. I went to Ebay and looked up the Pearl iZumi shorts and they look like the best option for me.  My size is a 12.  I have just started riding my bike more since the weight loss.  I rode last summer casually, but it was more of a struggle with the 92 extra pounds! So,this summer I have committed to doing a 25 mile bike ride in September with the community...hence the need for biking items. Not sure what else I should have besides the shorts to get through the ride. Let me know what you have available and any additional suggestions. Have a great day! Bike Riding    Lisa
turtle829
on 7/4/08 10:03 pm
Revision on 08/04/15
Hi Donna, Did anyone express interest in the biking apparel you mentioned?  If not, I am interested.  I am very much a beginner in the cycling world.  I am new out on my surgery (5/1/08) and cycling is something I am interested in for part of my exercise routine.  I need something more sport oriented than just the gym for me to stay motivated. How long have you been into cycling?  Any other tip you have would be most appreciated. thank you for your time. Vicki
Most Active