Bike shopping....

Sarahlicious
on 6/21/08 7:36 am - Portsmouth, OH

After talking to the guys at the state park last weekend and looking up some bikes online I decided to invest a few hundred more into a nice bike...it would be worth it...I need one that "fits" me...I'm short...have leg issues, etc. I had "heard" that if I went to a bike shop they would HELP me figure out what the best bike would be for the type of riding I wanted to do and my body. I realize what I consider an expensive bike was actually on their low end but still...can they at least appreciate that I was there...at a bike shop wanting a GOOD bike. So I reminded myself as I pulled up that I was not going to buy anything unless I felt it was right and I got good service.  Well I knew as soon as I walked in and had walked an entire LAP around the store and STILL no one had greeted me and there were several employees...so I finally step up to the counter and after the guy rings up the customers in front of me he asked what I need. I said I'm looking for a bike....oh I can't help you I'm expecting someone....he'll help you and motions to guy by the FRONT door...the door I walked through with no one saying hello. So he tells the guy I want a bike, he asked what my price range was I said $300-$500. He grabs a bike and says this one...no offer to try it, etc. I said well I'm looking for one with a step over bar....well this one you can get with a lower bar but the front will still be high so you won't be able to step over it...btw you'll be riding this right? Yes, I will and I'm pretty sure a lower bar will be easier to step over. So I had some print outs from the Trek website and I asked if he had either of the other bikes I was interested in. Nope, but we can order them. Want to order one? Ummmm...considering I haven't even been allowed to sit on one or try it out....which I can't even do since you don't have 2 of 3 styles I'm interested....and none with the low bar....I don't think I'm plunking $500 on a bike I can't try out first. WTH??? I came home and looked up another bike shop...I'm just so pissed with the typical south florida service...or lack there of....for whatever reason he wasn't enthused about selling me a bike....sure I wasn't going to lay down $2000...but $500 is better than $0. right?

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Chris Zane
on 6/21/08 7:57 am

Yep, go to another store and give them your business.  We have several bike shops here and I always get that attitude at one of them.  Like I'm not worth their business if I'm not buying a $2,000 bike.

Find a place you are comfortable with.  They should, at the very least, let you sit on one and see if it fits.  Before I bought mine, they let me ride it around the neighborhood.

Good luck.  It's a lot of money and you want to get one that you will be comfortable on.

Most Active