8 Days Post Op

eric S.
on 6/20/08 10:44 am
I am 6 days post op and want to bgin an exercise program, but am not sure what I can and cannot do as I am still healing. Can anyone provide some guidance or some web sites that I might be able to visit.  Thanks Eric
Linn D.
on 6/20/08 10:59 am - Missoula, MT
Eric, The best thing you can do right now is walk, walk, walk.  Until your surgeon clears you for anything more strenuous, I'd say stick with that.  You certainly don't want to do too much and end up with a hernia. There are all sorts of things that people like to do.  When you're ready, I'd say experiment with lots of forms of cardio exercise so you can be sure to have a plan you're more likely to stick with over the long haul.  Most everyone will agree that regular exercise is the main deciding factor for long term weight loss success. A lot of us on this forum have specific goals we are working toward and most everyone could tell you where they got the program they're using.  If all else fails, find someone who's doing the things you like to do and reply to their posts.  This is a very friendly, helpful, and extremely nonjudgmental forum and there's not much griping or whining (unless we're upset at how we performed at a race!) Linn
Deanna34
on 6/20/08 11:09 am - Salem, OR
Welcome, Eric!  Congratulations on your new life!  I started walking right after surgery and started water aerobics 1 month post op.  It was around 6 weeks post-op that I started a weight training program twice a week at my gym.  Just make sure you go slow and get that exercise in ... it's a great way to start your new life!  --Deanna :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Soft And Lovely
on 6/20/08 11:21 am - IL
I'm gonna second that walk walk walk thing.  You'll be amazed how quickly the walking turns into the desire to do a bit more (with clearance of course)

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Scott William
on 6/22/08 1:54 am
Eric, For the first 6-8 weeks or so, I'd just walk.  Walk fast if you must but don't over do it.  I started lifting real light weights at 6 weeks and it didn't feel right.  I waited another two and agin it was real light.  I still ended up with a hernia.  You have the rest of your life to be all you want to be.  Just do me a favor and wait a bit.  You won't regret it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
eric S.
on 6/22/08 2:35 am
Great advice  Thanks
Most Active