Dizzy spells

umber
on 6/20/08 1:59 pm - Rochester, NH
I am seeking opinions, not FLAMES, please. I am three months out from RNY next week.  The last few days I have been getting dizzy spells.  I have started running about 2-2.5 miles a day, every day but Friday (my rest day).  I just began June 1 so my body is still adjusting to the initial stages.  I also mix in a little cross training but nothing totally "die hard".  I eat about 600-650 calories a day on avereage right now, my pouch is very tight and I still can't yet eat 4oz. at a meal.  I usually get in my 60g. protein and I am drinking alot of water.  I am good with my vitamans.  I don't eat much veggies, fruit or carb/starch type things right now because I just don't have the pouch space.  It's hard enough to get in the protein, then there is never any room left for "other stuff" ie. the stuff my NUT says is good for you but optional and only to be eaten after the protein.  And before everyone just writes "ask your surgeon" - I am!  On Monday.  But I wanted to know YOUR OPINION, do you think it's the diet, the running, the combination, or something else entirely.  I was eating less than this intially out of surgery, but I was just walking for exercise, and only about a mile a day.  Running is much more challenging and definately steps it up for me, as I can tell from all the sweating!  ;-) I haven't passed out or anything, just the last couple of days when I stand up quickly from sitting, lying down, or stretching on the mat I get a WICKED dizzy spell.   Thoughts??? --Umber.

Lord, give me stregth and when I lack it, patience.  

K B (Tucson)
on 6/20/08 2:18 pm - Tucson, AZ
I suspect that you are over-excercizing for your calorie intake and also dehydrated.  I like your enthusiam for movement, but your daily caloie intake is far to low to suport your level of activity.  Since you are having trouble eating, you likely are also very low on the amount of liquids you are taking in.  Either slow down your excercise (for now) or increase (greatly) your caloies and liquids.  Good luck.
cbrock1592
on 6/20/08 11:47 pm - New Haven, CT
I had the same issue after my surgery as well.  My issue was low blood sugar since I was not eating many carbohydrates - which your body needs to as fuel for exercise (esp. running).  As soon as I up'd my carbohyrdate intake, I was OK.  My dietician suggested either Gatorade or Glucose pills.  Can you tolerate either?

Christine
band date: August 1, 2007
Band Removal Date:  Sept 30, 2008
Highest Weight: 355 lbs
Day of Surgery: 231 lbs
Current Weight: 185 lbs

umber
on 6/21/08 6:31 am - Rochester, NH
Haven't tried it, but I will try Gatordade this week and see how it goes.  Thanks for the advice!

Linn D.
on 6/21/08 12:03 am - Missoula, MT
I agree that it's most likely low blood sugar.  Since the diet of someone so new post-op has so very little carbs there isn't really any glycogen storage in the liver or muscles.  Glycogen (in case you don't know) is the easy use form of a glucose polymer that is stored in the liver and muscles for the 'fight or flight' response. If you can eat 1-200 calories about half an hour before you exercise, your dizzy spells should be better.  Fats and protein aren't easy for the body to use, so you don't get any glucose (fuel) from them while you're running.   Don't be fearful of carbs for fuel.  They are necessary - especially for those who exercise regularly with any kind of intensity - until you can eat more and have good glycogen storage.  I generally eat a banana and have some coffee before my workouts and I'm over 4 years post-op. Linn.
umber
on 6/21/08 6:41 am - Rochester, NH
I can eat a half a banana, but only with nothing else.  I have managed a half cup of Kix with a fourth a banana.  I know I'm still "new" and I need to be more patient - eventually I know I'll be able to eat more at a time.  I also have a fear of eating before running because running on a full stomach when I was much younger would make me naseous.   Plus I am a little afraid of carbs because I'm just barely getting in my protein and I'm afraid to use up the "pouch space".   But I will make a real effort this week to get in a hundred or two carby calories (does gatorade count or does it need to be a real "food" - ie. a solid?) before runs this week.   Thanks!

Linn D.
on 6/21/08 7:09 am - Missoula, MT
Gatorade counts, but be careful because a lot of people dump from it. As far as being fearful of running on a full stomach because of nausea, I understand completely.  I also get nauseaus if I eat too soon before running.  Try to eat as much as feasible, but give it time to be gone from the tummy before you run.  At this point, I would say that the soft foods are still going to be easiest to handle and yogurt and hot cereal are also good options to try.  If you have to, try half a yogurt (or banana or whatever you like) then the other half 15 or so minutes later. It may just take some time to figure out what works for you so try to be as patient as you can.  We all do something a little different. Linn
umber
on 6/21/08 7:16 am - Rochester, NH
I do great with the Dannon Light & Fit yogurt.  I have even had that a couple hours before a workout.  Great suggestion!  I'll try doing it an hour before and see if it bothers me. THANKS!

DrummerDude
on 6/21/08 11:51 am
How is your blood pressure?  Many people suffer from positional vertigo, and this can be determined with testing.
umber
on 6/21/08 1:58 pm - Rochester, NH
As far as I know, it's good.  Last time I had it tested anyway.  I check in with my surgeon on Thursday.  I'll make sure to have him do a blood pressure.  :-)

Most Active