How do I catch-up?

Monica P.
on 6/20/08 3:47 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

The last 3 weeks I have not done my long run in preparation for my first half-marathon that is 2 months away.   The last long run I did was 7 miles.

So as the deadline gets closer I'm getting more and more nervous. I don't want the 'van of shame' pick me up if I can't keep the pace at the Disney half-marathon.

My question is: Do you have any advice for resuming a training regimine when you've taken a break?

I have completed my shorter 3 or 4 mile runs during the week and I still complete my two sessions with my personal trainer, it's just the long run I have not done.

Thanks in advance!

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Dan_P.
on 6/20/08 4:12 am - Baltimore, MD
Hey Monica. Is there a reason you haven't been doing the long runs? My advice would be to resume your training schedule and try to get back to that as much as feasible. I've found that as long as I'm doing the shorter runs during the week I can make up for missing a long run every now and then.
Linn D.
on 6/20/08 4:52 am - Missoula, MT
In addition to what Dan said, I've been told (ane it was tru for me) that if you can run 9 or 10 miles, you can do the half.  I think my longest distance before my first half was 9.5 miles. I only have a month until my next half, and I haven't really prepared much.  I have done one run that was 7.6 miles about 3 weeks ago, but I've also had races the last 2 weekends.  So anyway, what I'm trying to say is, if you can, get in a 7-8 miler this weekend, maybe a 5 or 6 next weekend, and 8-9 the next weekend after that - kind of back and forth - so you get one 10 mile run done 2 weeks before the race.  Don't panic, you still have time, and it will be so worth the effort!  I remember how cool it was finishing my first and wish you the same elated feeling! Linn
Scott William
on 6/20/08 5:00 am
I would personally just start where I left off if it was only 3 weeks.  On race day, throw in some walk breaks early and often and keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Not every race is ideal but finishing is great, just the same.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Cassie W.
on 6/22/08 5:00 am
Hi Monica, Since you said you still have two months away, you have time to catch up.  Assuming you have seven more long runs before your half marathon, I'd would start with 5 miles and add a mile each week. 5 6 7 8 9 10 6 Half Marathon Also, your long run doesn't have to be on the weekend if life is getting in the way.  If I'm feeling good during the week and I have the time, I'll sometimes go long midweek. Enjoy the half! Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active