2 walking questions

IzosMommy
on 6/20/08 12:58 am - TX
I walk around a suburb which is slight rolling hills. I can't really say what the grade is. My questions are: 1) Is it speed or distance that you look for while walking? I can't seem to get over 3.0 - 3.5 mph. 3.5 is my max and I walk 3 miles at one of those speeds. Depending on whether I have my baby in her stroller or not. I just can't seem to go any faster than what I am going. No matter how I try to build up to it. Especially with the stroller (3.0 mph). So should I try to go longer distances? 2) Also when I really push myself during my walk, my hands swell up. I know it's cause my blood is pumping so hard. It's not uncomfortable just kind of funny. I just wanted to make sure this was okay to happen? TIA Lina

NicoleLynn
on 6/20/08 1:10 am - Minneapolis, MN
Lina~One thing that I found helped me increase my pace while walking is taking smaller steps it allows you to actually walk faster, also I am not sure if you have music on since you have a little one in the stroller, but really upbeat music can help too because you can walk to the beat of the music.  My little sister also has the same issue with her hands swelling, we actually walked together last night and when we were done she showed me her hands I had only ever seen that before with my mom and her's do that because she has high BP (I am not sure why yours or my sisters do it though).  I hope this helps a little.  ~Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

IzosMommy
on 6/20/08 1:23 am - TX
Ok my DH always wants me to take bigger steps because he walks so fast naturally i just tryt o keep up with him. lol I do listen to music. My 1 yr old is very good about entertaining herself during my walk. Thanks so much for your help.

Chris G.
on 6/20/08 1:12 am
As for your second question, I've never heard of that. You may want to talk to your MD, because it may be fluid. Interesting though.

As for your first question, neither is really important. As long as you are walking for around 45 minutes to an hour (if medically able to) you're doing good. The "talk-test" is a simple test that you can do to make sure you're walking at a good speed. If you are able to hold a conversation while you're exercising, you are at a good pace.

There are things you can do to increase your anaerobic conditioning. Remember that anaerobic conditioning will increase your body's ability to uptake oxygen while aerobic exercise (walking is the best example) just moves the oxygen through the body. If you have been cleared by an MD, try walking fast for 15-20 seconds and see how you feel. You may be able to go more than that, but just pay attention to your body.

If you're not able to do sprint, try varying your route if possible. How many days are you exercising? If you're not walking at least 4 times weekly (optimal is 5), try increasing the number of days you walk.

Chris Gillette, MS
www.chriseducatedguess.blogspot.com
IzosMommy
on 6/20/08 1:34 am - TX
I will talk to my surgeon about it since I don't have a regular doctor. Thanks. I walk for at least an hour if not much more, 6 days a week if not everyday. I usually have 1 day a week when I slack off. I'll try sprinting for a short time then walking. Thank you.

Linn D.
on 6/20/08 4:41 am - Missoula, MT
Lina, My hands swell every time but it's especially noticeable when I run longer or harder.  They always go down, though.  I don't have high BP either.  Personal guess is that those of us with capillaries closer to the skin surface may have more trouble with it, but I don't see it as a major problem unless the swelling is prolonged.  It's totally normal. If you use a treadmill at all, it's easy to just bump the speed up .1 mph and get used to walking at the slightly faster speed.  Just like in running, you can also do spurts of fast walking.  You have to go faster to get faster as strange as it may sound Also, both speed and distance are important, but usually not at the same time.  Work on speed one or 2 days a week, and distance the rest.  As we get more fit, we need more of a challenge to get the same health effects because the heart rate doesn't go up as high or stay there as long.   Linn
Most Active