Looking for feedback and links. Want to switch from machines to free weights!

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/08 11:58 pm, edited 6/20/08 1:18 am - Eastern, PA
Good moring friends... Brief background. I'm just about 5 years out post RNY, and maintaining a healthy weight of 210-215 lbs. (I'm 5'9, and pretty muscled up). I'm coming off hernia and bowel repair surgery. I'm about a month out. Pre-surgery I was doing cardio 5 days a week for an hour a clip. Tried to do 45 minutes last Friday and I was wiped out on Saturday. I'm able to do a half hour a day now, and plan on working my way back to an hour a day over the next few weeks. That's not what I'm looking for feedback on. Just wanted to give you the full picture of what I've been doing. Pre-surgery, I was doing the same weight routine 3x a week. I have been doing the same routine for about 18 months. I had no access to free weights, so I was doing the following exercises on a Universal Machine; 3 sets of 15, at pretty heavy weights, moving the weight up when I was able to finish three sets without strain at the end of the final set: Bench Press: 18th Plate out of 20 Shoulder Press: 17th Plate out of 20 Back Row: 17th Plate out of 20 Lat Pulldown: 17th Plate out of 20 Tricep Curl: 13th Plate out of 20 Bicep Curl: 9th Plate out of 20 Leg Press: 20th Plate out of 20 Calf Press: 20th Plate out of 20 Leg Extension: 13th Plate out of 20 Leg Curl: 9th Plate out of 20 Our work gym just put in a nice set of York dumbells, and I'm looking to transition to an all freeweight workout for a while when I go back to lifting in another 2 weeks or so. What I've been doing has been working for me, but I also know I'll see some real benefits from switching it up. Using the Manufacturer's specs, I can figure out what the free weight equivalents of those weight stacks are. I want to continue to concentrate on upper body, but not ignore my legs. I'm going to continue to do leg workouts on the universal machine, but I'm not sure of the frequency yet. I am looking for some sites that will give me options for a good three-day free weight rotation. Or if you have ideas yourself, please feel free to share them. I can always resort to google, but I figured I'd start here first. Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may have. Cheers! Norman
liz A.
on 6/20/08 12:38 am
I've got nothin'  but wanted to say hi  soooooo hi norman. bye.

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/08 1:18 am - Eastern, PA
Level of helpfulness: 0%
liz A.
on 6/20/08 1:15 pm
but I'm ever so nice, which is why youre my friend. so suck it.

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Linn D.
on 6/20/08 5:33 am - Missoula, MT
Norman, Earl C. is our main weightlifting guru and he's generally on later in the evenings.  He's also written a few articles for this forum in the past. I'm sure the level of helpfulness here is 0% as well, but we like to get to know the folks that post here and welcome you to post more often. Linn
(deactivated member)
on 6/20/08 5:42 am - Eastern, PA
No, you did much better than Kellee! :)
Most Active