Question

misstilly
on 6/16/08 7:25 am - Cosby, TN
I think I read that someone here does most of their training on a treadmill?  I was just wondering how different they feel doing that than running outside.  I run on the treadmill 6 days aweek, 3.5 miles. I have completed 1 5k and am doing another one June 28.  It has been so hot here (like every place else) that I haven't been outside running.  I plan on doing that this week as it is supposed to cool off. Thanks, Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Linn D.
on 6/16/08 10:20 am - Missoula, MT
Sue, I'm pretty sure it's me.  I do my training on the tread.  When I do a race, I have to remember how my body feels when I'm on the treadmill running and make it do the same thing.  Hills are different.  You can't go the same speed up them so your overall time is likely to be slower, but that's a trade-off I don't mind. I know a lot of people hate using them, but I do fine.  Others (Curt) will suggest you do more running/training outside, but I think that however you're the most comfortable is what you should do.  It does feel different, but I've done enough races that I'm used to that. Hope this helps. Linn 
misstilly
on 6/16/08 10:22 am - Cosby, TN
Thanks for your reply. Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Scott William
on 6/17/08 12:57 am
Sue, I try to do most of my training outside but I am a whimp.  Anything other than 50 to 65 degrees and more than 10 mph of wind ot a little rain sends me inside to the TM.  I have actually done a few 18 mile training runs at my gym.  Anyway, I think there is a benefit to both.  If I need to do a speed workout, I kind of like the treadmill because I can set the bar really high and I have to keep up.  Slow down and fall off.  If I did that outside, I wouldn't go as fast and I may quit too early.  The "experts" say that you put less effort in for the same work on a treadmill but I have worked myself harder on a treadmill than on the road.  Hills are the big issue when racing.  Most treadmills have a hill setting and if you do intervals at 5 or 6% you will feel it. If you must use the TM, you will be fine.  However, there is nothing better than a sunset run through the woods or on the road when the air is calm and starting to get cool.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
marsheeeee
on 6/17/08 7:56 am - Jackson, MS
I live in Mississippi, so I can relate to the heat and humidity.  If I can drag myself out of bed at 5 a.m., I run outside while it's still coolish (as you know, there isn't any such thing as "cool" in the deep South in the summertime. I laugh at the pictures of "light sweaters for those cool summer evenings" that I see for sale in catalogs.)  However, if I can't, I go to the gym and use the treadmill and the track.  I think it all depends on what you prefer.  To me, training is training. Last year (before I joined) my marathon group ran in the Chicago Marathon.  I am told it was unseasonably warm in Chicago for October (maybe in the low to mid 80's, I'm not sure) that they had to stop people from running and had to cut the race short.  Our people said "What!!!! That's not hot!!!!".  Low 80's was positively cold considering all the running they'd been doing all summer long.    Good luck. Marcia
Most Active