2nd Triathlon Race Report

Sherry_Berry
on 6/20/08 6:05 am - Dacula, GA
2 more things after reading the responses...and rereading a few other things. Transitions...get yourself some elastic laces like EZ laces or YANKZ or Bungees. You don't have to tie your shoes and they slip right on. You can thank me later:) I don't know what your spin shoes w/the spd's are like, but consider getting a triathlon shoe. Mine have one velcro strap and drainage on the bottom. Great for wet feet coming out of T1. I don't bike with socks, so tri shoes are seamless on the inside. Many road/mtn bike shoes have seams in them. You'll waste a lot of time putting on a dry shirt in transition. Tri outfits are moisture-wicking. Once you hit the bike you'll be wet for a few miles, but will dry off quickly. How was your hydration and nutrition? What did you eat/drink on the bike and run? What did you do BEFORE the race? Also-you said you like cute stuff and like to match. Check out  www.skirtsports.com and they have a whole bunch of workout clothes. They have a whole tri category. You can save 15% with the SHERRYC coupon code.
Linn D.
on 6/20/08 9:08 am - Missoula, MT
I'm still not sure what to do about clothes.  I did buy a tri bra and top, but didn't want to wear the top with the number pinned on it in the water.  It would've been better if the top had a longer zipper, but I need both layers for support until I can get some PS.  I wear 2 bras when I run. I don't drink or use any gels when I race unless it's longer than a half marathon - gets me sick to my stomach.  I ate light but well the day before (I have to be careful of the runner's trots) and had a banana and some whole wheat crackers the morning of.  I work out in the mornings and never eat more than a banana before anyway, so that wasn't anything new. I'll check into skirtsports.  I think I've heard of it, just haven't looked really close.  Thanks for the coupon code! I'm still so new in the sport and not sure how far I'll end up going, but if I can do 2-3 a summer, that's fine with me for now.  I'll eventually have more money to spend on these things and maybe by that time I'll be a lot more competitive and find it more woth the expense!  Until then, I still do a lot of running and am really working on increasing my speeds.  Before I pulled my hamstring I had a sub 54-minute 10K and I'd like to get that speed back again now that I'm healthy. Thanks again for your input, Linn
Sherry_Berry
on 6/20/08 11:46 am - Dacula, GA
Good to know! One thing that will help the "pin the number on the shirt" issue is not to pin the number. You never wear a # in the water. You only need a # for the bike if you are doing an Ironman...if that's the case, they supply you with 2 numbers. You only really need a # for the run. Traithletes use race belts. I use them in running races too, mainly because I don't like to ruin my clothes with pin holes. www.fuelbelt.com I have a few from them. They ROCK!!!!!!! Only about $10. You can pick up a race belt in ANY running store. What are you biking in? You don't want to do a tri in regular bike shorts. It's like wearing  a diaper. Tri shorts have a chamois which is thin, but dries quickly. I run in them too.
Most Active