First 10K

panhead58fl
on 6/15/08 8:21 am - Barboursville, WV
Hi guys, Sat. was 18 months since surgery and I ran my first 10K. 58:59. I was shooting for under an hour so I am happy with that. I kept telling my self from the start slow down not to fast, at mile 3, I picked it up only slightly and then after mile 4 and 5 a little more. At mile 5 the guy told me the time was right at 48 minutes and I was pretty sure I could do the last 1.2 in 10 minutes. Looking back I could have ran a little faster at the start and still had a some left at the end. I now have some thing  refer back on for the next one. I have a 5K in 2 weeks and another in 2 weeks after that. Going to try to work in a 10K also and there is a half matathon in November. A year and half ago I couldn't run across the street, didn't even dream about 6.2. pan head
MaryS
on 6/15/08 9:45 am - Long Island, NY

Congrats!!  What a great accomplishment, you did a fantastic time! Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Soft And Lovely
on 6/15/08 10:40 am - IL
That sounds great pan head.  I've heard that runners develop the ability to judge just how to pace themselves.  Looks like you are perfecting your ability.  I can't wait to develop mine!

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Linn D.
on 6/15/08 1:30 pm - Missoula, MT
Nice job on this first 10K! Isn't it funny how we learn something new from each race we do? Keep up the good work! Linn
Kevin A.
on 6/15/08 2:50 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Amazing what we can do with hard work!! What a great time!! Can't wait to hear about your next race!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Chris Zane
on 6/15/08 9:28 pm

Fantastic accomplishment and a great time!!  Good job.

Scott William
on 6/15/08 10:16 pm
Way to go man.  Great race and a good time to boot.  What a feeling of freedom to go from having trouble tying shoes to beating all these "skinny" people in a road race.  The best part is that you already have more laid out ahead of you.  Congrats!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Dan_P.
on 6/15/08 11:22 pm - Baltimore, MD
Congrats Pan. Nice time. Funny to feel like you can go 6.2 and have some left in the tank isn't it? Making the impossible possible.
Deanna34
on 6/16/08 1:06 am - Salem, OR
Woweee, that is a great finish time!  You did amazing!!!  --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Ruth A.
on 6/16/08 5:21 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Wow you did great!  What a difference 18 months can make...

Most Active