The 5th Grader On My Back x-post

Soft And Lovely
on 6/13/08 4:44 am - IL

I've been reading lots both here and elsewhere about people who start exercising and then they stop losing weight.   I'm not anywhere near ready to stop losing.  I still got this "kid" on my back.  I'm not interested in building muscle to make her easier to carry.  I want this brat GONE!!!  Any suggestions on how I can keep the weight loss moving along as I build up my fitness level?

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Linn D.
on 6/13/08 5:50 am - Missoula, MT
There are a couple ways to look at this.  For starters, you're so soon out, that I can't see it being a problem for you right now.  I think what happens is a lot of folks lose most of their weight and THEN start exercising.  During the first 3-6 months of exercising for these people, the body is doing all sorts of changing and rearranging and it doesn't show up on the scale.  But the health benefits are still there, and that's the main reason to be exercising. Another way to look at it is to consider sizes vs weights.  I wear a size 6/8 and weigh about 150-155#.  Most people in that size range are at least 10-20# lighter than I am.  I am very fit and also very muscular.  I wouldn't give that up to 10-20# lighter, because I would also lose all the capability that I've worked so hard to get. Sometimes we get all wrapped up in the numbers and forget that the main reason we exercise is so our bodies are more healthy.  Like I said in an earlier post, it did take me a while to lose my last 35#, but in that time I gained so mu*****ardiovascular fitness that it really didn't matter.  I went from working on weight loss to working on fitness. I don't know if this helps you much, but also remember that I'm 42, over 4 years out, and have maintained my current weight for over 3 years by doing just what you see here. Linn
Soft And Lovely
on 6/13/08 5:58 am - IL

Thank you very very much Linn.  That makes complete sense.  The numbers obssession is exactly why I don't own a scale and why my signature numbers are so goofy!  Congrats on all of your success!  Even though we are pretty much the same age (I'll be 41 in a couple weeks), I still wanna be like you when I grow up!! 

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Linn D.
on 6/13/08 6:03 am - Missoula, MT
That's quite a compliment!  Thank you. You're already on a very good path, and I'm very proud of you for doing this.  It IS harder for us older gals, but all the research points to such great health benefits for those who exercise.  So, if you concentrate on that being the reason as opposed to weight loss, you're way ahead of the game. Linn
Most Active