Running: To Eat or Not to Eat...that is my question!

Julie D.
on 6/12/08 3:54 am - Stephenville, TX
I'm trying so hard to take up running but am struggling really badly.  Some days when I run at night I can run a whole 5k without stopping.  But other days, like today, I ran half and was so exhausted that  I couldn't do any more and had to walk.  I'm wondering if this is because when I run at night I have eaten all day and when running in the morning, I have only had a protein bar.  Sleep is the same either way and so is running speed/effort.  I want to run so badly in an upcoming 5k event that I'm already signed up for.  Any tips for making it through?  Thank you! Julie

Much Love,
Jules

Linn D.
on 6/12/08 4:10 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Julie, The only way I can think of to solve your dilemma is to try eating some carbs a while before you run.  I don't usually eat before I run but I almost always have had coffee.  I don't find I have any trouble with my energy level, but I also have a snack before bedtime.  Another possibility is that your body just works better later in the day.  Since the race is most likely in the morning, try eating some oatmeal or a banana before you run and see if that helps.  Then have your protein bar when you're done.   I would hazzard a guess and say you don't have much for glycogen stores if you're that exhausted, so it would very likely benefit you to try eating some good carbs shortly before a morning run.  Linn
Julie D.
on 6/12/08 4:29 am - Stephenville, TX
Linn, Thank you for your help.  Can I ask what glycogen stores are?

Much Love,
Jules

Linn D.
on 6/12/08 6:16 am - Missoula, MT
Glycogen is what your body turns glucose (carbohydrates) into for storage in the liver and muscles for use when you need immediate energy.  It's basically a glucose polymer that is easy for the body to use.  But the kicker is that the body only stores so much.  Once the glycogen stores are full, the excess carbohydrates are turned into fats.   When a runner 'hits the wall' their glucose stores are depleted and the body needs to use other things (mainly amino acids) for energy.  That's why a lot of endurance athletes use gels.  They are mainly glucose and are very fast entering the system for use.  That's another reason to eat a protein meal after exercising. I hope that cleared it up some. Linn
Julie D.
on 6/12/08 6:20 am - Stephenville, TX
Thanks a bunch for all of your help!

Much Love,
Jules

Chris Zane
on 6/12/08 7:11 am
I also do better when I exercise later in the day rather than first thing in the morning.  For me I think it is because of the food factor.  Schedule-wise, it works out better if I exercise in the morning, so I tend to do that even though I'm not as energetic.  If I do eat before I work out, I usually have peanut butter and crackers.  Maybe 3 or 4 sandwiches (6 or 8 crackers with peanut butter between them).
kypdurran
on 6/13/08 4:43 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Having a compromised digestive system can cause some unforseen side effects so you may be better off not eating.   Trust me, I know this from lots of experience. (http://www.team464.com/triamerica-louisiana2008/)  Any race that's over a couple hours you may want to consider some kinda nutrition plan but anything under that your body will just use what you ate the night before for energy.  
Linn D.
on 6/13/08 5:54 am - Missoula, MT
And that's the main reason I don't eat before a run...
Scott William
on 6/13/08 4:45 am
As far as making it through, it will be no problem.  The excitement of the race and the adrenaline will carry you to the finish. I find that most of my good runs are also in the evening.  I never really thought about it though.  Thanks for bringing it up.  Hmmm?
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active