attn runners!

jlw1203
on 6/11/08 10:31 pm
I started walking/running about 2 months ago. Today I am running at least 3.5 miles every day. I still follow my high prtein diet and really watch what I eat. My question is, is it unusual to not lose any weight by running.  My weight has not really gone down at all, I do notice however that my clothing does really fit alot better. Any advice?????
Linn D.
on 6/12/08 2:02 am - Missoula, MT
Being relatively new to it, your body is still in the process of changing.  I'm sure you've lost fat and gained/toned muscle which is why your clothes feel better.  I used running as a weight loss tool when I was early out, but I'm over 4 yrs post-op now so it's very different.  I do remember that I was running for over 2-3 months before the scale started moving much, but I was losing sizes just the same.  It also took me about 9 months to lose the last 35# even with the running.  One other thing to remember is that if you aren't eating enough you won't lose either because our bodies are so good at holding on if we're not giving it enough. Some of the other folks on this forum have had their basal metabolism tested and are eating according to that.  I'm not sure how the weight loss is coming, but that's another good tool to use. Sometimes we just have to keep persevering and it will happen in due time - especially since you are still being vigilant about your intake.    Linn
Scott William
on 6/12/08 2:57 am
I know that you are not running marathon distances but the theory still holds true.  When you exercise your appetite increases.  Have you noticed that you are eating more?  That could have something to do with it.  Also, you may be building muscle that you havn't had before and that can add some weight.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
wjoegreen
on 6/12/08 4:01 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Same deal here.  But we are healthy and doing right things. Smile and enjoy the miles and pleasure of feeling good and feeling good about looking good. Smile and enjoy the ride. 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
striveforhealth
on 6/12/08 12:17 pm - Portsmouth, NH
Hi - I started a 10K training group on April 1st and I'm the same weight now as I was then.  I have actually increased my eating a bit (about 300 calories give or take) as recommended by my nutritionist. 

Check out the video on youtube that my partner made about my WLS journey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8vV0N6CxA

Linn D.
on 6/12/08 11:55 pm - Missoula, MT
I tried to respond to your post above, but it wasn't working right.  I thought I'd tell you congratulations on fininshing your training!  I am thrilled that you followed through to the end! Good luck with your race!  It will feel great having a 10K under your belt.  Enjoy this first 10K!  Oh, and you should also post in Curt's thread about weekend races! Linn
Most Active