should you eat before your workout

Anniep59
on 6/10/08 9:42 pm - Pittsboro, NC
Goodmorning I have been wondering if I should eat before or after working out? I actually have done it both ways. I tend to eat the same thing every morning which is a small protien bar and half cup of coffee. My head really wants to drink that full cup of coffee but the pouch just wont allow it.                                             Annie

It is never too late to be what you might have been.?

www.youravon.com/annieadams 

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/08 10:57 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
There are different schools of thought on this.  I exercise mid-day (lunchtime) and after work, and I always have something to eat 30-60 minutes before I exercise.  Mid-day it's usually a banana w/ a couple tablespoons of peanut butter, or a light yogurt with some granola.  Before I head to the gym after work, I usually have an open-face sandwich (1 slice whole-grain bread, 3 slices smoked turkey, 1 slice low-fat cheese, maybe some alfalfa sprouts or leaf lettuce).   For me, I discovered that if I didn't eat at least a little something before I worked out, I was sometimes getting light-headed and dizzy by the time I was done, or when I was going back to work or driving home.  So this is what works for me.   I don't usually workout first thing in the morning, but when I do I'll usually have something small and easy to digest, like a banana or yogurt.  I don't usually do coffee until after I've exercised, but that's just a personal preference.   I also eat after I workout - lunch after the mid-day workout, which always includes 20-30 grams of protein, and dinner after the end-of-day workout.  And if I have errands to run after the end-of-day workout, I try to have an apple or small granola bar w/ me in case errands take too long.  Otherwise I can start to feel pretty crappy -  I say just listen to what your body tells you and keep doing that.  If your protein bar and half cup of coffee does the trick, I say keep on keeping on!!! Kellie
Anniep59
on 6/10/08 11:53 pm - Pittsboro, NC
Thanks Kelli for the input. I have discovered jerky LOL low in carbs and good on protien. It is strange but I have tried to eat steak just a few bites I just have to come to terms it just isnt going to happen for me. I can do jerky great and it gives me that little boost I need.                                       Annie

It is never too late to be what you might have been.?

www.youravon.com/annieadams 

Linn D.
on 6/11/08 12:15 am - Missoula, MT
I'm just the opposite.  I don't eat before I work out, but I do it in the mornings.  I do drink 1-2 cups of offee then wait about an hour so I'm empty.  I run a lot of days and I can't do it with anything in my stomach or I've always gotten sick (even prior to WLS).  I also don't use gels or snacks with long runs or workouts.  To me it defeats the purpose of training, but that's a personal preference.  I also don't drink anything when I work out - never have - also gives me a stomach ache.        Anyway, it is good to eat directly after (within an hour) especially a high protein meal to help repair the muscles.  I work out intensely enough that I can't drink a protein drink or smoothie or I get the runs within a half hour.  The bottom line is to listen to what your body needs.  If you're getting dizzy when you work out, you need food.  Carbs are best in this case because they take a much shorter time to be available for energy.      Linn
Dan_P.
on 6/11/08 3:07 am - Baltimore, MD
I generally do a protein drink before and after. Especially if I'm lifting. I think you'll find that your body will change over time depending on your activity. I went from not really thinking about nutrition at all to having to think about it actively, especially during long runs. Still experimenting as far as that goes.
misstilly
on 6/12/08 3:15 am - Cosby, TN
I usually have a light yougurt with hot tea about 30-45mins before I work out, then after I have a protien drink or a bowl of kashi Go lean ceral with 1/2 banana.  I do drink during my work out I usually get 16ozs in during and another 16ozs in after on my way home.  I found today that I needed more water on my way home so I had another 16ozs bottle.  Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Most Active