Monday Workout

Mifiremedic
on 6/9/08 9:35 am - MI

All is quiet down here... Not to rub it in..

Deanna34
on 6/9/08 9:50 am - Salem, OR
Not a damn thing for me today!  And it feels totally wrong!  My half marathon is on Saturday and my training plan calls for 5 days of rest prior to the event.  I'm planning on going out for a walk this evening just to keep the leg joints loosened up.  Other than that, NOTHING!!! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Earl C.
on 6/9/08 11:41 am - Circleville, OH
Rest is good before a big event of any  kind. You really don't gain anything in the final days except tearing yourself down more. Good luck on your marathon. Monday Morning mowed the lawn (cardio) throwing 45 min 8 pm @ work gym 1 arm DB Press 1 Arm DB laterals cybex narrow row Wide Grip Pulldowns Earl
Linn D.
on 6/9/08 2:18 pm - Missoula, MT
Just curious, Earl.  What do you throw?  I did all the throwing events in track when I was a kid in high school and have often thought of taking it up again.      Linn
Earl C.
on 6/10/08 2:17 am - Circleville, OH

Hi Linn You should take it back up.

I compete in Master's (old) track meets usually, but this year there doesn't seem to be as many around Ohio. I'm not old "enough" to do the Senior's Olympics yet (you have to be 50) but plan on doing those in a few years. I still have to use the same size discus and shot put the Olympic and College guys use, 2 K Discus and 16# shot. After age 50 it gradually starts getting lighter. There are a lot of women throwers you should try it. So, I have some friend's that run a throwing camp at Dennison University in Ohio. John Powell and Brian Oldfield, 2 legendary Olympian, coach there. It's actually John's camp. But after the first week’s group leaves and before the 2nd week’s group arrives, just for fun, they have the Brian Oldfield Highland Games.  I officiated last year, but they told me to wear a skirt (kilt) this year and throw. Basically, eat meat, drink beer and throw. Last year they had 1 woman throwing. She was a coach for a High School. It changes every year, but last year they threw a 70 pound stone, 60 pound stone, 40 pound stone, 56 pound weight for distance (you have to throw 1 handed like a discus), 35 pound weight for distance, 28 pound weight for distance, 22 pound hammer, 16 pound hammer. Every Highland games is different, they throw bales of hay for height from a pitch fork, 56 pound weight for height, various stones like a shot put and the caber toss (throwing a telephone pole end over end). They have master's and women's classes in these too. I've been to a couple as a spectator and they looked like fun, so I want to do these now.

I threw in high school too and when my stepdaughter signed up for track in Jr High I was helping her and the bug hit me again. Then after surgery I found a web site that really spike my interest and a new obsession was born. If you go to my profile page on the bottom there are some links to the website and some articles I wrote for it.

Earl

Linn D.
on 6/10/08 3:52 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks for the info Earl.  I'm over 40 also, but finding meets in Montana is tough.  I think they only have one in the summer, at least that's all I've ever seen, but I can't say I've looked real hard.  I initially started looking a couple years ago because I'm still pretty fast - especially since surgery.  When I played softball, I could run the bases faster than most of the other girls, so I thought that I'd be competitive for my age.  I may still have a shot put (my best event), but would have to find a discus.  I hurt my shoulder a while back so there's no way I could throw the javelin anymore, but I always loved track meets.  It was the one place a bigger girl could fit in and excel.  You see, I've had these guns all my life! Linn  
Earl C.
on 6/10/08 8:44 am - Circleville, OH

Linn, You can get a  1 k rubber discus for a few bucks on ebay or any track website. Then just start. I throw where ever I can. Sometimes the part or empty school yard. Sometime at the High School track or in the parking lot at work. I have all kinds of medicine balls with handles and Danskin 5 pound balls to throw around and practice with if I can't find a field.  I enjoy it. Not sure why. :) Earl

Mifiremedic
on 6/9/08 11:43 am - MI
You didnt mention anything about eating chocolate chip cookies...
tarateacher
on 6/9/08 11:44 am
RNY on 08/07/07 with
nothing here.  had an endoscopy this morning...that anesthesia made me loopy a lot today and very sleepy...I'll get it going again tomorrow.  BTW - mild gastritis and biopsied for h-pylori again.  Now my pouchy is grouchy...eating but not wanting too. Tara

Tara

Most Active