Governor's Cup 10K

Linn D.
on 6/8/08 5:37 am - Missoula, MT
Hi Guys!  I did my first road race since the marathon this January yesterday.  I'm much more used to flat courses, and when someone told me it was 'hilly' I was worried.  It started downtown and went straight/slight downhill for about 50 yds then immediately turned right to go up a hill.  After the hill it evened out until about where the band was at mile 1.  It stayed flat for a while through most of the second mile to a nice little downhill portion (it's fun to run faster on those) and then flattened out again.  Stayed flat for most of the second mile, and about then is when I finally started getting into a groove.  As we went past mile three, while still on a flat stretch with a slight incline it was time to turn a corner and go uphill again!  This hill lasted nearly the full mile between miles 3 and 4.  About in the middle of the hill when it flattens out for about 100 yds there was a potty just meant for me (I knew I should've taken one more trip before the race started).  What was so bad about needing to stop was I knew once I started again it was back to the hill.  Well, the hill finally ended just before mile 4 and I was thinking, "Well, just 2 more miles and change.  Should be a piece of cake."  Got to stay on mostly flat parts through to mile 5 with some small inclines, but I couldn't help but think, "Where's the downhill to this up?"  Just then there was about a block of mild down slope leading up to yet another hill before mile 6.  The last slight downhill led to the flat finish.  Toward the finish line there were a couple ladies I passed on the last hill who were speeding up and so I naturally went all-out to the finish.  My main goal was to finish in under an hour, but I was nervous about that since I required a visit to the potty.  As we made the final turn to the finish, the clock showed 2:29:06 (official clock started with the marathon 1.5 hours earlier) and I thought that if I hurried I'd beat these other 2 girls and still make it under an hour!  Well, my official finish time was 59:41 with a 9:36 pace.  I finished 18 of 68 in my age bracket, 110 of 390 for gender and 263 of 656 total.  I was pretty thrilled with my time especially on such a difficult course!      Linn
Mifiremedic
on 6/8/08 5:54 am - MI
Linn,

Great job on the hilly course.
Linn D.
on 6/8/08 6:14 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks, Curt.  I think this is the weekend of Deanna's half marathon also.  I can't wait to hear how it went for her!
Soft And Lovely
on 6/8/08 6:54 am - IL
Awsome!  You are truly an inspiration.

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Scott William
on 6/8/08 7:56 am
Way to go Linn.  Good time.  You beat me by 22 seconds this week!  Pretty funny.  Keep up the good work.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 6/8/08 10:16 am - Missoula, MT
Scott,      I try not to compete with you guys 'cause I'm short (5'5") and old (42).  You all end up faster than me.  But I will tell you a secret.  It's nice to be able to go faster than some men sometimes.              Linn
Cassie W.
on 6/8/08 7:57 am
Great pace with the hills and the potty break!  I'm still working towards that 1-hour milemarker for the 10K.  I know I need to do more structured speedwork to get there.  That competitive spirit sure does help us kick it up a notch at the end. Congratulations! Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 6/8/08 10:18 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks Cassie.  This is my first sub-hour 10K since my hamstring pull nearly 2 years ago.      Linn
tarateacher
on 6/8/08 9:05 am
RNY on 08/07/07 with
Great job!  I just did my first 10k last week and my time was 1:15:48.  I can't wait until I get another one lined up.  I really want to beat my time and look forward to my day of under 1 hr.   Well done - hills and all.  I can tell you when a hill approaches - I don't look at it.  I just keep my pace and watch the ground in front of me. Tara

Tara

Linn D.
on 6/8/08 10:12 am - Missoula, MT
Tara,  I don't look at the hills either, I'm a put my head down amd just keep going sort of a gal.  That's partly why I was so surprised that the really long one just kept going up and up and up...      Linn
Most Active