weight lifting or omg I freaking weak now

Seht
on 6/7/08 11:58 pm
So yesterday I had to load some bags of cement. at my high weight I would have been carrying them 1 under each arm. These bags are 100 pounds each.  Well damn yesterday i could barely pick up one of them. I have been focusing on my cardio work outs because I feel like I get more of a workout from them than lifting. I have been doing the couch 2 5k and some bicycling.  Now I realize I need to start lifting, I have lost so much strength, that and the weight which used to help me just use my mass to move things around. Are there any good programs for lifting like the couch to 2 5k is for running? most of the equipment at the Y is machines, and I really don't feel comfortable with the free weights any how.  Any suggestions? Thanks Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 6/8/08 12:43 am - Missoula, MT
Sorry I don't have much input, but I wanted to say that I feel your pain.  I was a shot-putter in high school and have always been very strong for a girl.  We went snowmobiling after I lost all my weight (had surgery in Feb, didn't sled until November) and I could barely steer the damn thing!  You do so much with your weight to steer and I didn't have it anymore!  I had to completely relearn to sled.  Anyway, if you're more interested in just plain strength rather than total muscle definition, look up "functional strength training."  It's a different way to go about strength training.  Most of the machines were designed with body builders in mind specifically for defining muscles and they don't necessarily increase your 'fucctional' strength.  Earl does a lot of lifting and will probably respond with some good resources for you.      Linn
Earl C.
on 6/8/08 12:14 pm - Circleville, OH
Just have someone at the Y set you up a basic circuit program using the machines at the Y. No need to split bodyparts are do anything fancy. Just 2 or 3 days a week, full body workouts for 30 minutes to an hour will get you strong again. There's no reason to change your cardio program. It won't effect your weight training at this stage. Start slow with 1 or 2 sets per bodypart and work your way up over time. Earl
Kasper33
on 7/7/08 6:05 pm - CA

Earl is right start out slow dont push to hard or fast. If it dosen't feel right stop and ask. I just started going back to the gym myself and am going back to the basics. Good luck.

Most Active