Training for a Marathon! Help?!

Beth R.
on 6/7/08 6:21 am
Hello everyone. I have a burning desire to run a Marathon. I have ran a couple of 5k's and I am running about 20 miles per week. I am one year out from my surgery and I really want to challenge myself.  I have NEVER been athletic in my life, until the surgery. I am in love with running. I find it very challenging and exciting at the same time. I want to know if anyone can give me some tips on training for a Marathon. I am looking for anything from workout plans, training schedules, songs for my ipod, what to eat, what you carry when you run, etc. etc. what's amazing to me, is when I tell people I am close to, that I want to run a marathon, they look at me the same way they did, when I told them I was going to have the surgery. I just love proving people wrong........they just don't know how stubborn I am. LOL!

Beth
"what a ride"

Soft And Lovely
on 6/7/08 7:36 am - IL
I am not a runner yet so I could be way off base here but someone mentioned the Runner's World website.  I wonder if they have marathon training plans.

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Scott William
on 6/7/08 7:56 am
Well the pasic principal is to take it slow and progress slowly each week.  Your long run should be at a minimum 18-20 miles.  It sounds like a lot but your first long run may only be 4 or 5 miles.  Can you give up 16 to 20 saturday mornings.  If so, you are on your way.  The basic schedule may have a first week four run schedule like this: Sun: Rest day Mon: 2 miles Tue: XT (cross training) Wed 3 Miles Thur: 2 miles Fri: rest Sat: 5 miles. What I usually do is run 4 days a week.  Saturday is the long run.  On Wed, I will do about 50% the distance of the long run.  On the other two days, I will do 25% of the long run. By your biggest week, it will be 20, 5, 10 and 5.  I know it sounds like a lot but you get there so gradually that you don't really notice.  By that week a 5 miler will seem like an off day. This would be an example of a beginner - just finish program.  The book that started my marathon career was, "The non runners marathon trainer".  I got it on Amazon and followed the program pretty closely. Songs are up to you.  Runners World magizine has a good article about that this month.  Book stores would have it.  WHen I run the Disney marathon, I carry a water bottle and wear a fanny pack that had energy beans, granola bars, cell phone, camera, maybe the IPod, energy gel and extra band aids for the nipples!  For training runs, I carry a water or gatorade.   I would really suggest doing a search for marathon books on Amazon.  There are hundreds and most will work fine.  Jeff Galloway has a few and he advocated walk breaks which I am all for.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Mifiremedic
on 6/7/08 11:27 pm - MI
Scott writes, "extra band aids for the nipples!"

WHAT? Your suppose to get your fluids from the water bottle you take with you... ha ha.....

Curt
Linn D.
on 6/7/08 8:07 am - Missoula, MT
Sometimes when you sign up for one you can get a free plan based on your current run miles and ultimate goal.  I got one when I signed up for the Rock and Roll Arizona marathon (www.rnraz.com).  There are also lots of books and online plans you can buy.  Most of these are 18-20 week training plans and require one long run a week.  I got to looking at the New York City marathon website and there are several training plans that you can just print out.  I printed out 2 of them and the one I end up using will depend on my base run miles when I'm ready to train for my next one.  One thing you will want to watch closely is your iron levels.  High intensity and endurance running can cause an increase in iron loss mostly through the feet from the pound and sweat.  Other folks have used many different books so they'll have more information for you, but this is my imput for now.  As you decide which one to do (try looking for one 5 or so months from now) and start your training, we'll be glad to help in any way we can since several of us here have done them.      Linn
Beth R.
on 6/7/08 9:39 am
Thanks everyone, and I will definitely keep you posted!! I am looking at the Rock N Roll Marathon in San Antonio, Texas, November 16. We'll see. I live in Arkansas, and it's HUMID. Hard for me to run in the humity, but maybe if I start super early in the morning. I have to want it, determination is the key.  Thanks again!

Beth
"what a ride"

Scott William
on 6/7/08 10:47 am

If you are looking at Nov 16 then you are right at the start point for most training plans.  If you leave yourself a few extra weeks, you will have some extra time for nagging injuries that may crop up.

If you need some motivation, I have 3 marathon reports on the link in my signature.  I don't usually pimp it but what the hell.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
tarateacher
on 6/8/08 4:45 am
RNY on 08/07/07 with
Hi Beth! I haven't quite gotten the bug yet for a marathon - the distance is just so intimidating to me!!!  However, I am training for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach on Aug 31.  WHen i signed up I got a free online program with New Balance.  I get daily-mails. a schedule based on ME and all kinds of other info.  It is a 13 week program much like what  what's his name posted (sorry - I forgot Disney runner's name and I can't click back).  Rest on Sunday & Thursday, short runs M, W. Crosstrain T, FR.  It was a 30 fee but I got an access code when I registered for the half mara. Tara

Tara

Cassie W.
on 6/8/08 8:45 am
Beth,   My top five training tips are: 1) Progress slowly and listen to your body to avoid injury.  One of the training books that I read said it's better to be 10% undertrained than injured.  With both of my marathons, I had to switch to biking for a couple of weeks when my ankle threatened a full-blown mutiny.  2) If at all possible, find a partner to run with.  Although I ran my first marathon alone, my regular running partner trained with me up to the 14-mile point.  My second marathon, both she and my husband joined me for the whole ride.  Running with a partner provides camraderie, a spirit of competition, and that extra push to get out the door when it's only 3 degrees outside. 3) Fine tune your fueling needs during your training program.  My first marathon required six port-a-potty stops because of intestinal issues.  I think too many sports beans at once caused me to dump.  I figured out the right ratio of G2 and sports beans for the second marathon and didn't have any gastric issues. 4) Get properly fitted for your running shoes, if you haven't already.  A great pair of shoes will make all the difference in how you feel afterwards.  Once I find a great fit, I like to buy a second pair to use for race day.  I put about 50 miles on them to make sure that they wear the same, but then I have a great cushioned ride for the 26 miles. 5) Have fun!  There will always be runs that come hard and runs that come easy.  On those hard days, don't let self doubt make you question your decision to run a marathon.  You can do it!  If your mind keeps repeating it, your body will get the message. Good luck! Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Beth R.
on 6/8/08 12:33 pm
Thanks again everyone.  This is exactly why I LOVE this website. I hope I'm not trying to be too crazy in running a Marathon. Does anyone think it's too soon for me??

Beth
"what a ride"

Most Active