Clearly Insane Triathlon Dreams

Soft And Lovely
on 6/8/08 7:27 am - IL
Cool, then an upright bike with a decent sized seat it is!  Thanks again. 

HW/SW/CW/GW*
7850.8/7119.5/5630.9/3790.4**
*I'm not a big fan of scales.  The real numbers are on my profile.
**Weight on the sun (sure the numbers are high but look how fast you lose!)

Mifiremedic
on 6/8/08 7:30 am - MI
Youre Welcome
jon1970
on 6/9/08 11:51 am
Go for it! I completed my first tri yesterday it it was awesome. I had set a goal of august for the first tri but took a training class at the gym and was encouraged to sign up for one before that. The coach said what is the worst thing that can happen? You can end up walking the run part? I said what the heck and went for it an signed up for one that was two months away. See my recent post. Also look at my post from December when I first solidified the wacky goal of a triathlon in my mind. I had just completed the distances in the pool, on a stationary bike an walking on a treadmill.  Decide that you want to do it then commit to making it happen. Most of all have fun with it. 
Soft And Lovely
on 6/9/08 12:12 pm - IL
Wow!  Congratulations on finishing your first tri!!  I'm going to go and look for the posts you mention right now.  I want to see how it played out for you.

HW/SW/CW/GW*

donnainhouston
on 6/10/08 12:56 am - League City, TX
So clearly doable... not insane at all. Find the right event and you can do it.  There are plenty of resources out there beginners.  If it's any consolation, I did my first, as part of a relay team at almost 300 lbs.  My 2 teammates were equally as heavy.  Anything is possible with just a little belief in yourself. I like the beginner triathlete forums at beginnertriathlete.com  They have an "Athena and Clydesdale" forums, which are essentially folks who are larger than your average triathlete.  Good luck to you! Donna
Soft And Lovely
on 6/10/08 9:59 am - IL

I went to that site but I didn't even realize it had forums.  I will go and check in on the Athena and clydesdale" forum right now.  Thanks for the tip!

HW/SW/CW/GW*

David S.
on 6/10/08 1:02 pm

There's some other free workouts on that site.  Here's a link to one of the popular ones.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?art icleid=262

Dave from AZ     
Soft And Lovely
on 6/11/08 9:29 am - IL
Thank you for the link.  I never saw that training plan before.  It does look like an excellent starter plan.  Despite all the sage advice, I have not yet added swimming to my rotation.   I am going to bookmark this link though because the plan looks perfectly doable even for the likes of me :-)

HW/SW/CW/GW*

David S.
on 6/11/08 3:10 pm
Don't give up on the swimming.  Of the three sports, it is the most "low" impact; which is especially important while you still have weight to lose.  The workout was built by a "big guy" who used tri-training to lose weight and get fit.   Take care!
Dave from AZ     
Most Active