Am I too big to start trying to jog or run?

Anne Crawford
on 6/5/08 11:42 am - GA
Hi all!  I usually lurk on this board, but with seeing so many runners, it brings up a question that I have been asking myself lately.  I am around 229 or 230 and 4mths post op from surgery, down 80 lbs which is great, but am I ready to start relearning to run?  I exercise 6 to 7 days a week.  An hour on the elliptical, walking on the treadmill(3.5mph) with an incline of 3-4.  When will I know its time?  Do I need to get to a certain weight before I start?  Is it better for the  knees to wait?  I want to run!  I want to jog!  I just don't want to break something...LOL
320/199/140<<<
Updated since I had my baby....280(highest pregnant)/245(current)/140 still is my goal and I know I can do it!!!

Linn D.
on 6/5/08 12:02 pm - Missoula, MT
Whether or not you're ready to begin running depends mostly on how you FEEL while doing it.  If it's painful, I think you should wait a little while.  Otherwise, you can try a walk to jog (or couch to 5k)program and see how that goes.  I won't kid you, it probably won't feel good for a while, but it always gets better.  If you have to redo a wee****il it feels like you can move up, so be it.  I was probably 180 or so when I started running.  Hope this helps you some.  If you have any other specific questions, many of us would be glad to help you out in any way we can.      Linn 
Deanna34
on 6/5/08 1:11 pm - Salem, OR
I was 220 pounds when I started running and I didn't have any problems.  Just keep your pace slow and go for it!  You'll be running a 5K before ya know it!!!  Let us know how it goes! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

K B (Tucson)
on 6/5/08 1:51 pm - Tucson, AZ
If you can do the elliptical  and treadmill for an hour with incline, you can start to run.  like the other posters said, take it slow. You have the stamina to do this.  Good luck.
MaryS
on 6/5/08 10:36 pm - Long Island, NY
I was about 220 or so (I'm 5'6") when I started adding little running intervals into my walks.  Go by how you feel and take your time.  It was probably about 5 months of doing on a walk/run before I ran my first mile.  The couch to 5k program than Linn mentioned is a great way to start, here is the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

puddin2day
on 6/6/08 1:13 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Anne, You are not too big to start running.  So far, you have recieved some really good advice.  If you cannot do the Couch to 5K program.  I would suggest doing a run/walk ratio of 10 secs/1.5 mins just to start out.  You can increase it after a week or two.  It is better to start smail, and build upon that than to start with a longer time and quit out of fustration.  Remember to go to a running store (not Big 5, Lady Footlocker/Footlocker, Champs, Wal-Mart ,Sports Chalet or Target) and get your feet and gait evaluated by people who actually run and will fit you properly.  Great shoes is a major asset to sticking with running.  Give yourself about 2 to 3 weeks and it will become a habit.  Remember to give your legs a rest between runs so that your body can repair itself and be stronger afterwards. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

~ Lexipro ~
on 6/7/08 9:23 pm - SC
Thats about when I started Anne - slow and easy. I can tell you I went through a period where it was HARDER to run than when I started due to excess skin flappage in my stomach area - some control undies helped with that - so you may wanna be prepared. I did the couch to 5k too and still do intervals for my 'normal' cardio, straight up running is ok but I feel like the intervals do more for me.

Lexi -  Size 6-8 and holding.

Most Active