Maiden voyage completed

Seht
on 6/4/08 1:00 am
Well I completed my first ride to work today on the new bike.  This is the first time I have been on a real bike in years.  It certainly is different than the stationary bikes in the gym. I felt like I was walking uphill both ways in the snow Ha.  There was a headwind the whole way.  The road was anything but smoothe. My hands fell asleep.  I must have had a death grip on the handlebars, or I was leaning on my hands, whichever, they ended up falling asleep. When I got to work and got off the bike, I had to make sure there was actually a seat there.  I would have sworn that I was riding on the seat post.  My ass is killing me. So, my goals for tonight. Find a new comfortable seat! Find some padded riding gloves. Get some padded riding pants. Any of the above goals will certainly make it a more pleasurable experience.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Deanna34
on 6/4/08 1:39 am - Salem, OR
Oh my gosh, I got such a great laugh out of your post ... sorry for laughing at your expense!  Oh man, I don't know how you did it ... now you have to bike all the way back home too, huh???   Good job though, that's impressive!!! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Mifiremedic
on 6/4/08 2:13 am - MI
Great job on your first ride to work. Each ride you will learn something new, which will improve your riding.

Hell Yes (sorry for those people in Oregon who have sensitive ears), you need some padded shorts. I dont know how I did it. Once I wore a pair of those padded shorts I will never ever go without again. I know what your saying, the "fellas" are screaming for you stop and quit abusing them that way. Listen to the "fellas" and everything will be much better.

As for the hands falling asleep, I would guess that its more certainly because you gripping to hard. Work on moving your hands into the different hand positions, and soon you wont have any hand problems. By chance did you get a good professional bike fit when you got it? If not, you should look into that for sure. That could be part of your problem...

Be sure to get well hydrated in preperation for the ride home. Every ride will get better and better.

Curt
Linn D.
on 6/4/08 2:33 am - Missoula, MT

Congratulations on making it to work!  I even do spin classes with padded shorts, and I always ride with gloves.  Most of the seats any more are designed to keep the fellas from being 'compromised' but if you have good bike shorts, I'm not sure I'd use a different seat just yet - unless you really feel the need.  Also, don't be afraid to play with the gears - gear down if it feels like it's too much work.  It'll get easier in time.      Linn

Judi J.
on 6/4/08 4:40 am - MN
congrats on the first ride! ditto what linn said about the seat and shorts. the guy at my bike shop said that the harder seats really work better with a fitted bike as long as you are wearing good bike shorts. my dh can really tell the difference if he is wearing cheaper quality bike shorts, so, don't cheap out get the good ones! the bike guy told me that the mushy seats let your body bobble. who knows? lol my hands used to cramp and so did my feet when i first started. I agree it is the death grip! it will get better.  good for you riding to work. i haven't taken that plunge yet. judi
Rob S.
on 6/5/08 4:05 am - DE
A good seat is real important  for males.  Especially since infertility rates among male bikers is higher than the normal population.  Most of the good bike seats are fairly rigid with two sections, basically you have a seat for each cheek.   Although good bike shorts are also very important, the thing that really makes the difference is building up those butt callouses.  After a while the pain will go away as long as you work at it. Loosen up your grip on the handlebars and don't put any weight on them.  All of the energy of the ride should be going through your butt and legs, and your arms and legs should just be along for the ride.  Hope it gets better soon.  Don't give up, there are plenty more flats and hills for you down the road. Rob
Seht
on 6/5/08 6:52 am
Thanks for all the responses. I think my first step is taking the bike in for a fitting, get everything adjusted and then see what seat would work best for me. Hopefully all of that will help reduce the discomfort. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active