Running and Sciatic Nerve Troubles??

Elisa K.
on 6/3/08 10:18 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Hey All: I just started running this past Spring.  My sciatic nerve is acting up, and it is driving me crazy!!  It is making my butt, hamstring and calf tight , and I've lost the flexiblity in my back- really annoying!  I've been seeing my chiropractor, but it really isn't getting any better.  I also dance, and I have two recitals this week.  I've taken the last week off of running, because I was finding it hard to stretch out for dance, and I didn't want to end up all crippled and hunched up for my recitals.  I plan to resume running on Saturday, when I am finished with my recitals.  Do any of you other runners have problems with your sciatic nerve?  Does rest help?  What do you do??  I've always suffered back problems when I was heavy, and of course, things are much improved since I've lost 193 lbs.  I just don't want this to sideline me any longer!! Thanks!!
Linn D.
on 6/4/08 2:25 am - Missoula, MT
It may seem strange to say, but you might want to have a running coach or physical therapist look at your running form.  It's very likely that your form is contributing to the problem and a few slight adjustments might make a big difference.  I don't suffer from sciatica, but I have an SI joint that is prone to being injured.  Mine gets so bad I can't walk unless I take Celebrex.  I'm one of these bad people who also take Aleve occasionally also.  Most sciatica pain is caused by inflammation, so if you don't or prefer not to take NSAIDS, try ice to reduce the swelling (20 min 3-4 times/day).      That's the best I can come up with for now.      Linn
Elisa K.
on 6/4/08 3:28 am - Lumberton, NJ

Thanks Linn!  I am actually participating in a training program with two coaches, so I will have one of them check out my form when I run with them on Saturday.  I've had problems with ulcers, so unfortuantely, I can not take any NSAIDS - I've just have to suck it up it guess.   

Scott William
on 6/4/08 2:30 am
Hmmm.  I am not sure but it gets me thinking.  I can't seem to loosen my left hamstring or calf and my low back is always tight.  I will have to ask my chiropractor.  Thanks
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Elisa K.
on 6/4/08 3:31 am - Lumberton, NJ
Maybe you are having the same problem??  It's not terribly painful, more annoying than anything.   Keep me posted Scott - I'd be interested in what your Chiro says. Thanks!!
tarateacher
on 6/8/08 5:02 am
RNY on 08/07/07 with
I have had lower back problems for years.  However, since surgery they disappeared...until 3 weeks ago.  I "sprung" one in my lower back.  I am  using my back more this last month since I am playing softball, too.  (and my quads for srpinting - pulled them in a game too).  Now, back was fine in a few days, took quads almost 2 weeks.  What I have found to be most helpful is strength training for my core.  I do pilates typically twice per week.  That has helped me immensely in strenghtening both my back and abdomen.  Rememeber that weak & painful low back is related not only to weak low back muscles but also weak abdominal muscles.  They work in tandem. Good luck! Tara

Tara

Elisa K.
on 6/8/08 9:34 am - Lumberton, NJ

Thanks Tara: I was doing yoga pretty regularly up until about 3 months ago - maybe I need to make yoga a priority again.  I swear - there are not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do - LOL!!

Most Active