San Diego Marathon Report

Kevin A.
on 6/2/08 2:26 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Hello Sport Fans!!!

This is my San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon report. For those that don't know my history this is my second marathon my first was the L.A. Marathon March 2008. I finishing but was totally unhappy with my results. (read my profile for that report) Because of the way the first marathon went I was happy to never have to run that far again. But something strange started happening. I started missing those long run. I needed something to keep me motived. At the last minute I decide to run. I had not done a long run since the L.A. Marathon so I did not know how my body would hold up.

Miles 1-15:27, Mile 2-14:22, Mile 3-14:03, Mile 4-15:14 Mile 5-14:11
Over 17,000 runners it was overwhelming the amount of people running at the start. I stayed in the very back I knew I was going to have to take it very slow at the start of the race. I started with a 1 minute run and 2 minute walk. I was surprise how good of a pace I could keep just running for 1 minute. My shoes were giving me trouble I need a new pair but it was too late to break some new shoes. But my pit crew (Kirsten) had another pair waiting at mile 6 just in case I needed a tire change. The people cheering and the bands were great. I took off my i-pod just to hear the music playing as I passed bands.

Mile 6-20:05, Mile 7-17:11, Mile 8-16:04
I was still feeling good but I need to keep taking bathroom breaks. As soon as I would go I need to go again!! I met up with Kirsten at mile 6 I was feeling good. My pace was great but she keep telling to slow down!! Another high light was I saw some runners coming out of a fancy hotel in downtown San Diego. I ask they let you use the bathroom? Yea so I walk through this fancy place all sweaty and use the restroom. As soon as I thought I was done I needed to do a #2!!LOL!! I been told you are not a real runner until you take a dump while racing!!LOL! I'm a real runner now!! I was so happy I didn't have to use the port a potty!!!

Mile 9-13:57 Mile 10-15:14 Mile 11-13:58 Mile 12-15:43
Runners have talked this was the worse part of the marathon. Running on the freeway!! That right!! I got a chance to run on a California freeway!!! The 3-4 miles was up hill and worse slanted so one foot was totally uneven with the other foot. But I was able to keep my pace passing alot of the runners cramping and some of the walkers. It was fun car zooming by the other side of the freeway honking at us runners!! Very Cool!!

Miles 13-17:02 Mile 14-16:26 Half way point 3:22!!
I made to mile 13 the first cut off point were they had bus waiting to take slower runners of the to another point of the race. That was one of my goal to not end up on that bus. I made by about 10-20 minutes!! I met up with Kirsten. I could feel my legs starting to tighten. I rubbed some cream on my legs, salt and refill my bottle. I was ready for the second half of this marathon.

Mile 15-14:19 Mile 16-14:38 Mile 17-14:03 Mile 18-14:36 Mile 19-14:15
I was back on pace and feeling good. If I was going to beat Kirsten L.A. Marathon time of 6:24 I was going to have to step up my pace. I changed my time to a 2 minute run and 2 minute walk pace.

Mile 20-15:00 Mile 21-15:06 Mile 22-15:30
I up my running to 2 minute but my running was slowing down. I was running out of gas!! Kirsten time was out of reach now. I knew I would finish but I could feel my toes ready to curl up in my shoes and my legs cramping!! I grab so salt and took some Advil and hoped I would at the very least I would finish under 7 hours!!!

Mile 23-16:30 Mile 24-15:39 Mile 25-18:04
I'm not able to run for the full 2 minute at this point. I was in pain but nothing I can't handle but at this time I'm telling myself why pu**** I'm going to finish. Why push yourself and end up hurting more? That when I saw a friend that got pulled from mile 13 and sent ahead of the race. She was upset but still trying to finish. She told to finish strong!! So I took off running trying to get the best time possible.

Mile 26.2-18:26 Total time-6:45
The marathon end on the Marine base in San Diego. Entering the base I started running. People were cheering me on as I tried to keep running. I knew I was close but did'nt know how long I could keep running. My legs were cramping bad now!! I saw Kirsten and (Grove Daddy another OH runner) cheering me on. I finished 6 hours and 45 minute!!! I beat my L.A. Marathon time by 1 hour and 10 minutes!! It was a great race. I gave it my best and I'm happy knowing I can challenge myself to do things I never thought possible.

Thanks to Kirsten for being my pit crew!! She made it to 3 different spots and by the end of the race look as if she ran the whole 26.2 mile!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Scott William
on 6/2/08 9:21 pm
Awesome!!!  An hour + improvement.  Way to go man.  You had some good splits from miles 15-20 and overall, ot seems like you didn't slow that much.  It's amazing how fast you can go while taking walk breaks.  Keep up the good work.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kevin A.
on 6/3/08 12:51 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thanks Scott!! I was suprised how good I felt being out there!! Starting slow really worked for me. I keep waiting for something bad to happen. I hate to say it but it was a fun marathon!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Scott William
on 6/3/08 1:59 am
Kevin, No shame in that.  They should all be fun on some level.  Certainly, the Disney ones are about as much fun as a marathon can be for me.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kirsten :-)
on 6/3/08 2:35 am - Agoura Hills, CA
FUN?????  Did you just say it was FUN??????????  :-D  LOL
Seht
on 6/2/08 9:44 pm
Thank you for sharing your race report. I am just amazed every time someone says they completed a marathon. Congrats on your success. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Dan_P.
on 6/2/08 10:37 pm - Baltimore, MD
That must have been a blast. Congrats Kevin! -Dan
Kevin A.
on 6/3/08 12:57 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
It was a blast!! I ran in downtown SD, by Petco field, on the freeway and by the beach!! It was fun!!
Kevin A.
on 6/3/08 12:54 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Funny that when I tell someone I've done a marathon. I almost don't believe it myself!!!

MaryS
on 6/2/08 11:06 pm - Long Island, NY
Kevin, Congratulations, what a great job!! I loved your race report.  I am so excited for you.  It is amazing that you took over an hour off your time. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active