post-op beginning exercise....insights needed

jaylynn
on 6/2/08 9:36 am

I am 3 weeks post-op today.  I had an open RNY, some incisional issues I am dealing with... When did you start exercising after surgery and what did you do? I walked for 5 minutes on my treadmill today...first attempt.  I was doing water aerobics before surgery, but with incision problems, most likely will not be able to return to the pool for a couple of more months. Inspiration and encouragement needed.  Thanks

Mifiremedic
on 6/2/08 9:43 am - MI
I started walking the day after I got home.. True exercising was probably about 3 weeks post op, and it was fairly light..

You should be able to return to the pool once the incision are completely healed over... But be sure to listen to what your doctor says..

Linn D.
on 6/2/08 10:26 am - Missoula, MT
Since you've had the open surgery and incision problems, please be very careful with what you do with your core.  My dad had open stomach surgery (cancer) and ended up with several hernias that needed repaired less than a year later.  Other than that, walking is great for now.  If you have access to a stationary bike, that would be good also, I just wouldn't use a recumbant or one that uses your arms until you're healed better (uses more core muscles than the uprights to).  Once you get back to the pool, the aqua classes are great to keep you moving and motivated, but as you lose you might want to do more actual swimming also for a harder cardio workout.  I think you're doing wonderfully just getting back to exercising.  Take it slow at first, and listen to your body.  If it hurts, you shouldn't do it, but walking should be fine anytime.    Linn
MaryS
on 6/2/08 11:21 am - Long Island, NY
Looks like you got some great advice already. I would add my vote to stick with the walking until you are healed enough to start doing more. Walking is great! I started out with a couple of short walks a day. Best of luck with your recovery. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Earl C.
on 6/2/08 1:09 pm - Circleville, OH
I always tell new WLS people to just walk, walk and walk some more.  Your energy is just going to drop like a rock at times. So just do short walks, several times a day. Gradually increase the length of each walk and cut down on how many you do.  Honestly, shoot for an hour or two a day total which I think most people can get to within 2 or 3 months. Then start worrying about speeding up the walk. Don't even think about abs or anything like that for a couple of months.  Most people will get more out of walking at first. Start pool exercise after the surgeon tells you it's ok. Usually after the incisions heal. Good luck EArl
Scott William
on 6/2/08 9:27 pm
I had the open surgery with no real issues.  I started walking (ironically) 3 weeks out for 5 minutes at 2.5 mph.  Over time I increased the time and intensity until I ran a marathon 13 months later.  I'm not saying that you have to run a marathon but keep walking.  Nice job.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active