Maiden voyage

Mifiremedic
on 6/2/08 12:08 am - MI
Friends, I got off work this morning and headed straight for the local lake for my maiden voyage in my new wetsuit. I have no idea how far I swam, probably not too far, but far enough to realize that OWS swimming with a wetsuit is different. First OWS I didnt find myself working harder, in fact probably easier. However, the cold water on my face made it difficult to exhale while swimming. I had to remind myself to exhale, where as in the pool its almost automatic. My plan is to swim every morning that I dont work. Heck, I might even swim before work on days I dont ride my bike. I just need to get in as much OWS before my first tri on June 28th.
Deanna34
on 6/2/08 1:54 am - Salem, OR
Great job, Curt!!!!  It must not have been too much fun cuz you're not smiling!!!!  Come on, put a smile on that face and get back in tha****er!  Haha!  What are the distances in your tri coming up? --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Mifiremedic
on 6/2/08 1:57 am - MI
It may not show but I was happy to be getting in the water, but the uncertainty of the water had me a bit perplexed. My next triathlon has a swim of 400 yards..
Deanna34
on 6/2/08 2:00 am - Salem, OR
Well, you are much more handsome than your avatar picture ... here I was mistaking you for Elmo all this time!  Heehee!  How far is the biking and running distance for your tri? 

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Mifiremedic
on 6/2/08 2:02 am - MI
Oh really? Welll, nevermind...

The bike is 13.5 miles and the run is 3.1 miles.. Should be fine if I cant get out of the water...

Linn D.
on 6/2/08 4:08 am - Missoula, MT
Curt, I can't possibly describe my jealousy of your short swim!  My first tri was 1000 yd swim, this next one is half mile - and they're both SPRINT tri's.  I'm even signed up for another in August which is also half mile.  The one coming up June 15 is open water also, but I doubt I'll wear a wetsuit.  I'd rather be cold than fuss with clothing.  I bought a tri outfit that I'm hoping will keep me warm enough...   (I think I'm whining because the swim is my biggest challenge) Linn
Mifiremedic
on 6/2/08 4:21 am - MI
Linn,

Well I come from a past of very little "true" swimming. Swimming was what we did in a pool that consisted of some splashing and some drinking. Just about a year ago, I basically taught myself how to swim. Two years ago I would have never thought about doing any kind of swimming in a lake much less one in a wetsuit for exercise.

Swimming is my biggest challenge as well. So I guess that is why I need to work at it harder than the others even though I prefer to do the others.

You'd rather be cold than fuss with clothes? Many men would find that enjoyable.. ha ha..

Curt
Linn D.
on 6/2/08 4:41 am - Missoula, MT
Yeah, I'm not much into fussing.  The first tri I did in April I had to go to the locker room to completely change clothes.  It was awful, so this time around I'm going to have one suit that I wear through the whole thing.  I did buy some pedals so I can wear my bike shoes and not ruin the running shoes, but it's not so bad dealing with wet feet as opposed to wet skin everywhere else!    I did force myself into the pool Saturday after a spin class and it wasn't as awful as I expected it to be (haven't done any swimming since the April tri).   I'm planning on getting back in today after I get all my 3-yrs worth of filing taken care of. Linn
Mifiremedic
on 6/2/08 5:12 am - MI
Ha Ha... I cant say I've ever heard of someone going to the bathroom to change clothes. Go in with swim clothes/wetsuit on, come out with biking clothes on. Kinda reminds me of Superman.. haha..

I just got back from a 5 mile run, and feel pretty darn good. Should get back in the water, but the lake was quite busy.. I will wait till Wednesday morning...
jon1970
on 6/3/08 1:42 pm
I also had my maiden voyage with my wetsuit yesterday. It should up Friday afternoon and I did an open water swim clinic last night. It is unbelieveable how different open water swimming is compared to laps in the pool. Months of working on form in the pool went completely out the window. 
Most Active