Starting to run

goat
on 6/1/08 9:59 pm - NC
Does anyone have a good program to follow to begin? I did download the couch to 5k podcast...but I absolutely hate his music choices. I was just thinking of a nice guideline would be helpful, maybe something that takes me from walking to running over the course of 12 to 16 weeks.

Linn D.
on 6/2/08 12:02 am - Missoula, MT
This is the program I used nearly 4 years ago.  http://health.yahoo.com/fitness-getstarted/burn-fat-faster-j ogging/prevention--21627.html  It starts out with 3 times/wk then moves you to 4 and 5 times as you improve and can run for longer periods of time.  In case the website doesn't display as it should, the catetories (in order) are Week; Walk to Jog Ratio (ie 4:1 is 4 min walk: 1 min jog); Reps; Total Walk Time,; Total Jog Time; Total Workout Time; Workouts/Week.  I started out doing this program 5 days a week and did 30 minute workouts right from the beginning, but I really wanted to do this.  I did the entire program on a treadmill and used 3.5 mph walk (which I still use as a warm-up) and 6.0 run, but you may need to start slower depending on your cardiovascular fitness.  Also, just put in some music you like that keeps you going.  There's nothing special about anyone's music.  Just be sure you can get the timing so you follow the minutes.  There are lots of other great programs, and I'm sure you'll hear from others here what they used.  Pick the one you like and go from there.  By the way, it's okay to repeat a week if you don't feel like you can move up to the next level.  One other VERY important thing is to have good shoes.  Find a running store in your area (not a department store in a mall) and tell them you're beginning to run.  They'll look at your feet, see how you walk/run and select a style of shoe for you.  They'll give you some to try on and most places have a treadmill so they can see how you walk/run in those shoes.  Take advantage of this especially with your first pair.  I use Road Runner Sports online store, but I have a good idea of the brands I like and know the type of shoe I need.  However, if you can't get to a running store, RoadRunnerSports also had a toll-free number you can call and they can help talk you through what you need.  Sorry for the long reply, but I hope this helps.   Linn
Seht
on 6/2/08 4:43 am
I did the couch 2 5k, but didn't use his musice. Just load up your ipod or whatever you have and go for it. I never would have thought I could complete a 5k, but I was able to do it with this program. You can probably do it with any program, I think that dedicating yourself to it, and not beating yourself up if you miss a day, or if you take 2 weeks to complete one step. It's all about getting there, not necessarily getting there first.  At least not at this point. You can give us your race reports and pictures of your medals later on Good luck finding a program that works for you! Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

goat
on 6/2/08 6:00 am - NC
Thanks so much. I'm pretty tech challenge. The benefit of the 5k to couch was that he gave you the cues to run and walk. I don't know how to do it myself w/the music, lol.

Most Active