Weight Training

Sharese Smith
on 6/2/08 2:05 am

My surgeon told not to lift weights the first year due to fear of weight gain! I m a little troubled by this since I don’t want to have a lot of hanging skin. Has anyone started weight training? Not, heavy-duty weight training just using some weight with your cardio. I’ am almost 7 months out!

Help,

Mifiremedic
on 6/2/08 2:15 am - MI
I'm no Doctor by any means, but that makes absolutely no sense... Weight training is a great way to get a good overall workout.
Scott William
on 6/2/08 3:00 am
At 7 months, you are fine to start weight training.  I havn't a clue what your Dr is talking about because I have never heard that one before.  I had to wait 6-8 weeks.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 6/2/08 4:41 am
Yeah my doc told me 6 weeks too.  He actually shortened that after my first follow up.  Only limit I had was no crunches or anything that would stress the stomach for the first 6 weeks.  After that I was good to go. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Earl C.
on 6/2/08 1:20 pm - Circleville, OH
Most doctors are not trained in exercise or nutrition. That's a fact. Do what you feel is right.  I personally believe weight training has benefits for everyone. Just start slow and light and gradually work your way up the ladder. I think I know what he's getting at but...don't worry about it. The advantages more than offset any weight gained.  Women just physically can not gain that much muscle. Just not going to happen. There are guys out there, eating perfectly, training consistantly and heavy...trying to gain pounds of muscle and they are ecstatic if they can put on 5 pounds of muscle in a Year. Not a week or month..but a year. Go take a look at 5 pounds of hamburger in the Grocery store...that's a lot of muscle. If you're really looking to make changes in your body, you're probably going to have to do more than just using some weights with your cardio though. Good Luck Earl
Sharese Smith
on 6/3/08 2:39 am

Do you have any suggestion on what type of workouts or weight lifting I can do?

JeremyGentles
on 6/5/08 4:02 am - Johnson City, TN
When physicians say this kind of stuff, it really chaps my you know what! As Earl said previously, physicians no very little about exercise and your bodies response to exercise. This is why weight loss surgeons should have a qualified exercise physiologist on staff...so they don't make these types of ridiculous statements. This absolutely makes no sense whatsoever! And don't think that you can't start even heavy weight training after weight loss surgery. You may need to wait at least 6-8 weeks to allow for adequate healing, but once you are cleared to perform any activity you would like, I would suggest hitting the weights relatively hard if that is what you enjoy doing. Weight training will not impact the amount of weight loss you will experience, ESPECIALLY DURING THE FIRST YEAR! During the first year after weight loss surgery it is impossible to build any significant amount of muscle tissue simply because you are on such caloric restriction. It is difficult to maintain lean tissue during caloric restriction much less build muscle tissue even if you are weight training. You can however still build quite a bit of strength after weight loss surgery if you perform weight training on a regular basis. You can also maintain bone mineral density, elevate your mood and increase flexibility with weight training. So PLEASE, do not allow your surgeon to discourage you from weight training. I don't like to go against surgeon advice but in terms of weight training reducing the amount of weight you will, this is PLAIN WRONG! If you need to the research to present to your physician that this does not occur, i can certainly provide it. If they would like to call me my number is 866-957-4636 ext. 357.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Most Active