First Biathlon

MaryS
on 6/1/08 8:57 am, edited 6/1/08 9:35 am - Long Island, NY
Today I did my first biathon, which consisted of a 2 mile run, 12 mile bike ride, 2 mile run. It took place on the campus of SUNY Old Wesbury. I was so nervous this morning, I had butterflies in my stomach. I was hoping to get out of doing the race somehow, but that just wasn't happening. Rodney came to the race with me and helped me get everything situated. It was a very well organized race. Here I am with my bike in the transition area before the start of the race: Here is a picture Rodney took of all the bikes in the transition area: Before I knew it we were off running. The run was brutal and started with a hill. Actually, never mind started with a hill, just about the entire course was uphill, or at least it seemed that way. I started out too fast, but it was ok and I got through the first run without too much difficulty. I finished the 2 miles and was faced with the transition area. This is the part I was nervous about, but it went fairly smoothly and before I knew it I was headed out for the 12 mile bike portion of the race. I was hoping the bike portion wasn't as hilly as the run, but that hope was short lived. It was a very hilly course and I worked really hard to finish. The course consisted of 3 4 miles loops. One good thing was that the loop seemed to go faster each time as I became more familiar with the course. On the first loop, I did a bad job of shifing my gears on a hill and my chain fell off, so I lost a little time there. Other my chain falling off, the day getting hotter by the minute and screaming quads, I made it through the biking portion of the race. Now I had to face the 2 mile run again before I would be finished. The run was harder than the first time around. It takes a while to get your running legs back after biking. Knowing that it wouldn't be much longer before I was done with the race kept me going! It wasn't long before I was crossing the finish line. I finished the race in 1:48:24, placed 114 out of 124 and 4th in my age division. I even won a medal for the Athena division, which just make me laugh. The Athena division is for the heavy weight women, over 150 pounds. I placed first in this division. I find it funny that I placed first in the heavy weight division after losing so much weight! So, I conquered this new challenge. I was really nervous about the race, and I did it and finished. It was a lot of fun and I would definitely do a duathlon again.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Chris Zane
on 6/1/08 9:32 am
Great job!!  Isn't the Athena category funny?  For my race, it was 165 pounds for women.  I just fell under that, but I guess I'm an Athena in your state. Anyhow, the duathlon sounds fun - I liked the swim portion of the triathlon, but definitely eliminating the swim reduces the complexity of transitions and wardrobes.
MaryS
on 6/2/08 11:30 am - Long Island, NY
Thanks - maybe I'll get to try the swim someday! :)

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Linn D.
on 6/1/08 10:07 am - Missoula, MT

You did a wonderful job, as I knew you would!  Posting the pics was nice.  I'm looking forward to my next tri in a couple weeks.  It really is hard emotionally trying something new, and you conquered it wonderfully!   

Linn

MaryS
on 6/2/08 11:32 am - Long Island, NY
Linn, It was emotionally hard, I was a wreck before the race. My dh is something of an amateur photographer so he gets some practice when he comes to the races and I get some fun pics - it's a good deal. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Mifiremedic
on 6/1/08 11:10 am - MI
Another great race report.. However, your might just be the best because you got extra credit for including pictures in with your report. So I give it an A+..

It amazing what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it. Once again great job..

Curt
MaryS
on 6/2/08 11:33 am - Long Island, NY
Thanks for the A+, I always loved getting As.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Deanna34
on 6/1/08 11:31 am - Salem, OR
Mary, hurray!  You did it!  I'm so proud of you!  You did marvelous!  I loved all your pictures too ... you look so skinny!  Congratulations! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

MaryS
on 6/2/08 11:34 am - Long Island, NY
Thanks for the skinny compliment as you can imagine that made my day.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Cassie W.
on 6/1/08 8:21 pm
With the smile on your face in all the pictures, you'd never guess that you were nervous.  You are truly an amazing person and I look forward to all of your reports. They inspire me to keep reaching for more. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active