First 5K .. Since WLS

Amanda K.
on 6/1/08 8:17 am - Leesburg, VA
I did my first 5K today since WLS.  PHEW!!! It was hot. 
It was a nice up and down hill course through Herndon, by the carnival and on the trail back to the community center....  I thought I would try to run the whole thing... yeah... that didn't last long... after about 1/2 mile I was.. ummm can we walk.. so I caught my breath and kicked in the walk/run ratio.. got to the 1st mile marker in 12:18.. WHAT!!

I'm a 14 -15 min mile girl... I knew this was not going to be good!!!  Mile 2 to 3 had all the hills... so that came in at 14.47 and the last one I walked a bit more... so It was about 15:45 or right at 16:00.

But I finished!!!  It's good to be running again, I missed races!!   I finished in 46 min and 12 seconds (I think). Im not too happy with the time, BUT! I finished, wasn't the last one and the slow bus was no where in site! So... Im happy with a strong first race.... 

I have a couple, ok ok ok, 6 or 7 other identified races between now and my half marathon.  I need to work on running constantly, but right now Im happy to be out there!! 
 Amanda  

MaryS
on 6/1/08 9:38 am - Long Island, NY
Amanda, Congrats - it really is great to be out there!  Good job. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Linn D.
on 6/1/08 10:02 am - Missoula, MT
Great Job Amanda!  I love hearing about first races!  I know you'll continue to find them easier and easier to do...    Linn
Deanna34
on 6/1/08 11:27 am - Salem, OR
Great job Amanda!  You did it!  When is your half marathon?  My first half marathon is June 14 and I'm scared to death!  But it will be a huge accomplishment.  You did great on your race ... keep it up!!! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Amanda K.
on 6/1/08 11:55 pm - Leesburg, VA

My half marathon is in November.....

How are you training? What plan are you using?

Amanda  

Deanna34
on 6/2/08 1:59 am - Salem, OR
Hi Amanda!  I got the book titled "The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women" by Dawn Dais and it's awesome!!!  It has a plan in there for half marathons and full marathons.  The auther is hilarious and it's so motivational.  I absolutely recommend it, you will love it! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

puddin2day
on 6/2/08 1:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
My first half marathon is in October.  I just signed up for it.  I am scared also. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Cassie W.
on 6/1/08 8:36 pm
Congratulations Amanda.  Those 6 or 7 additional races will certainly give you the motivation to stay on track for your upcoming half marathon.  Happy running! Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

puddin2day
on 6/2/08 1:58 am - Los Angeles, CA
Amanda, Congrats on your first 5k.  The more you do them and train,  the easier they become. Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Ruth A.
on 6/3/08 6:00 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Congratulations Amanda Well done - fantastic!

Most Active