How Often?

Ruth A.
on 5/30/08 5:49 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
I'm an absolute beginner at running.  I am still at the running/walking intervals stage, aiming to my initial goal of being able to run a mile without walking for a minute part way through. Anyway, I wondered how often people ran when they first started out in order to see improvements?  I go to the gym two times a week - Tues/Thurs.  Is this frequent enough or should I be going more times a week?  I also do an abs class as well as strength training and 20 minutes on the cross trainer as well as the time on the treadmill. Also, on my current schedule, how long do you think it will be before I can run a mile, then a 5k? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Seht
on 5/30/08 6:22 am

this is what I did to get to my 5k goal Couch 2 5k program.  It is really gentle and was absolutely doable. Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Mifiremedic
on 5/30/08 6:22 am - MI
Ruth,

Let me start off saying that I am no where near as experienced as some others on this forum. My feelings are from your post is:

1. I think you should put in at least one more day of walking/jogging. And then work on increasing your time walking/jogging.

2. If you walk/jog for lets say a half hour each of the 3 days, I think you could do a mile very shortly.

3.. 5K, I would think is a couple weeks away. May not be very fast, but you at least will be able to complete one. *You may need to walk some of the 5K....

Work on getting outside for some of your running/walking...

Curt
Chris Zane
on 5/30/08 8:26 am
I would agree that you should probably run 3 times a week, maybe 4.  The couch to 5k programs mostly have 3 times a week.  It shouldn't take you long to work up to a mile.  I'm still working on the 5k - I can't do the whole thing without walking, but I think I actually go a bit faster when I take short walk breaks.
Deanna34
on 5/30/08 8:57 am - Salem, OR
Ruthie!!!!  It's great to see you over here girl!  When I first started running, I ran 3 times a week, so maybe just add one more day to your current routine.  Are you ever able to get outside to run?  I usually include 1 outdoor run per week.  I'm so proud of you for running!  You should look for a 5K that would interest you and sign up for it ... that way you're committed towards a goal.  I sign up for a run every month just to keep myself motivated!  Keep up the good work; you're doing great! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 5/30/08 11:05 am - Missoula, MT
I also did a walk to jog 12-week program.  I did whatever the interval for the week was 5 days a week, but I didn't do anything else.  Now I would say that I run usually 4 times a week and I'm working on both speed and endurance.  I don't see progress unless I have 4 runs/week.  Otherwise I maintain.   Linn
Andrea U.
on 5/31/08 4:35 am - Wilson, NC
I'm doing my jogging training 3x a week on MWF.  I do an elliptical TRS.
Most Active