need some help

LaurieO
on 5/30/08 7:34 am - MI
Hi, well this is my first post so hopefully it makes sense.  I had my RYN surgery January 2007 and am down to approx. 145 lbs.  I started a training program called the CRIM out of Flint Michigan where we meet weekly and do interval training for 15 weeks and at the end we run the CRIM (10 mile).  Well we are in week 4 and I've been fine up until the day after the last run.  Tuesday we ran apprx. 4.25 miles and I felt great a little sore and then in the middle of the night I got flu like symptons.  By morning it was a little worse and I passed out so my hubby took me to the ER.  They ran a battery of tests and concluded (no obstruction, no heart problems) that I'm dehydrated and maybe have a viral infection.  My blood pressure was really low when I went in and continued stay low even after they gave me 2 1/2 bags of liquid.  When they released me my BP was 90/50 and they concluded that I must just have low BP since I've lost all my weight.  I honestly don't remember any Dr.'s every telling me I had low BP but I didn't have high BP before my surgery.  My question is this, is it common for BP to drop like this for people with RYN surgery.  Second, the Dr. said I need to drink more water.  I usually drink around 80 ozs of water a day.  Any suggestions on how to get more in or what supplements/power aids may help?  Is it common for people with RYN to have more problems with running programs in staying hydrated? Any help would be appreciated.  I was suppose to run 4 miles last night and tomorrow but I'm still feeling achy and have decided to take it easy for the weekend.  Any advise? I have a follow-up Dr. apt. with my general Dr. on Monday but was wondering if I could get some info from people like me who have had the surgery. 
Mifiremedic
on 5/30/08 9:53 am - MI
Well when a person exercises the BP normally goes down a little bit, because your vessels will dialate. However shouldnt go that low. Not knowing anything more about you, I would say that dehydration is the culprit.

Yes, getting all your fluids in is very important. It's very important to continually drink fluids before, during and after exercising. However saying that make sure you get looked at by your personal physician and/or RNY surgeon. Just to be safe.

Great job on the CRIM program, sounds like your doing great. Keep up the hard work. Think about possibly getting a "fuel belt" so you always have fluid with you..

Linn D.
on 5/30/08 11:56 am - Missoula, MT
One quick question for you.  Do you have trouble with diarrhea when you run (or shortly thereafter)?  Many of us struggle with cramps and diarrhea.  I struggle more when I increase my intensity or distances.  If this is the case, it's a very likely cause of your dehydration.  I generally have more trouble if I don'****ch the electrolytes.  Of course, I feel that in my muscles as fatigue and get close to cramping.  Electrolyte imbalance can also lead to nausea and vomitting, so be careful of that as well.  I hope this gives you a thing or two to think about and discuss with the Dr.  By the way, as you run more, especially being female, please watch your iron levels carefully.  I became anemic while training for my marathon.   Linn
LaurieO
on 5/30/08 12:09 pm - MI
thanks for your responses.  I stopped at Walmart on my way home and took my BP at their machine.  It's come up since Wednesday to 116/68.  Better than it was.  I'll discuss all of this with the Dr. on Monday.  I don't suffer from diahrea when running but it might be because my DR told me to take iron at my 1 yr apt. (because I was borderline anemic) so I've been faithfully taking that along with my bariatric vitiamins.  I tend to have the other problem with not having to go taking the iron pill.  When you say an electrolyte imbalance what exactly do you mean.  Do you drink sports drinks when you run to replenish or stick strickly to water? I think I read that sports drinks can make it so your body doesn't absorp the water to stay hydrated.  Of course at this point I'm not sure of anything. 
Linn D.
on 5/30/08 12:26 pm - Missoula, MT
I"m one of those bad people who don't drink when I exercise unless it's a long run over half marathon distance.  You can drink enough water, but not get enough sodium, potassium, or calcium to keep your cells properly 'charged' since they all work on electrical impulses.  I do sweat a great deal, so I'm careful to use salt when I cook and eat fruits for potassium and yogurt for calcium.  You lose a lot of sodium and some potassium when you sweat, so it's just something else to think about.  The sports drinks give me diarrhea when I run, so I rarely drink them, but I know others on this board use the G2 and some other sports drinks to keep the sodium and potassium losses down.   Linn
Most Active