How do you build up muscle?

Babygrl
on 5/30/08 4:36 am - Kansas City, MO
I am eating my protein and I am working out.  I know that everyone's body is different but I do not want a lot of flab under my arms and legs.  So I hit the weights when I work out.  Some people look very flabby and others look very tight.  I want the tight look but how to do you get the muscle?  I want to be one hot momma.  But I am not putting on enough muscle. I have lost 73 pounds.
MaryS
on 5/30/08 5:44 am, edited 5/30/08 5:44 am - Long Island, NY
First, make sure you aren't mistaking flab for loose skin.  I think I have some good arm muscles, but I'll never look super toned because there is too much skin left over.  You also want to make sure you are working with heavy enough weights, you need to challenge the muscles.  Here is a link to a site with some pretty good information:  http://www.acaloriecounter.com/ Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

NicoleLynn
on 5/30/08 11:15 am - Minneapolis, MN
I would have agree with Mary.  I am not all too happy with the "bat wings" on my uner arms either, but I know that I will only be able to build up so much muscle then the rest is left to nature and how much elasticity is left in your skin.  I have heard that keeping a good water intake will help and also that it takes about 2 years before the skin starts to tighten up.  With regard to weight training my sister who is a personal trainer told me to set the weight and do one set of 15 if at the end you feel like you could do another 5 add a bit more weight.  You want to feel a burn  in your muscles, but not be struggling the whole time if that makes sense.  I hope this helps some! ~Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Linn D.
on 5/30/08 12:15 pm - Missoula, MT
Honestly, there isn't much more you can do besides what you're doing.  Like Mary, I'm pretty toned, but I have lots of loose skin everywhere.  It hangs out but I don't even worry too much about it anymore.  The only thing that will help me is PS, but that's still a year or more down the road (I'm 4.5 years out).   Linn
Most Active